Jack Peacock

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Simon Rogers

Jack Peacock

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:40 pm

I am sorry to report that Jack Peacock passed away in the middle of January at the age of 81.
His funeral took place on Thursday 30th January at Daldowie Crematorium.
Jack was an active member of Stepps Chess Club, Glasgow (and before that Crowwood Chess Club, Glasgow) for over 40 years.
He was treasuer, hall booker and captain of various teams in the Dumbartonshire League.
RIP

Alistair Campbell

Re: Jack Peacock

Post by Alistair Campbell » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:31 pm

Jack was a clubmate of mine and almost certainly a team-mate at some point. However I remember him more for his production of the Stepps Chess Club magazine, which I think was something of a labour of love – it was of a high quality, containing games by the masters, games by club members, puzzles and opening theory. I regret that only rarely did I play something worthy of inclusion, when I did he seemed to share my pleasure at such an unexpected turn of events. In my limited experience amateur editors generally are either too “hands-off”, allowing egregious errors to go uncorrected, or the opposite, butchering one’s carefully crafted contribution so it no longer makes senses. Not Jack – he was considerate yet firm – keen to prune what he called my “extravagant verbiage” but leaving the sense intact, enhancing the end result.

His funeral and reception at a local hotel were both well attended by his former team-mates. The club magazine continues and has been renamed “Jack’s Rag” in his honour.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:17 pm

"In my limited experience amateur editors generally are either too “hands-off”, allowing egregious errors to go uncorrected, or the opposite, butchering one’s carefully crafted contribution so it no longer makes senses. Not Jack – he was considerate yet firm – keen to prune what he called my “extravagant verbiage” but leaving the sense intact, enhancing the end result."

He sounds perfect!

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:40 pm

Sounds like Jack was a very decent guy with the amount of work he did for Stepps Chess Club and the magazine he produced.