Ross Brennan

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Simon Rogers

Ross Brennan

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:46 am

It is with great sadness that I have to inform you of the sudden passing of Ross Brennan on Tuesday 29th June 2021.
He played for Welwyn Hatfield Chess Forum and the Hertfordshire County Chess Team.
He was club Chairman for many years and played for Welwyn Hatfield Chess Forum in the Hertfordshire League.
Ross travelled distance to regularly play in the South Lakes Congess in Cumbria.
He also regularly played Correspondence Chess and it is was where his passing was reported on the English Federation for Correspondence Chess website on Thursday 8th July by their General Secretary.
RIP

Roger Lancaster

Re: Ross Brennan

Post by Roger Lancaster » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:07 pm

Very sorry to hear it. Played him at least once - and quite recently, shortly before the pandemic - in the Hertfordshire League and he was a tough [2000-ish] opponent. I can't say I knew him personally but, from what I saw, he seemed a nice chap. Others can probably say more.

Matthew Read

Re: Ross Brennan

Post by Matthew Read » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:25 am

Ross was a top chap and will be sorely missed by all at WHCF. He'd spent a time away from the game but had been a mainstay for the club's first team for the last 7 or 8 years.

Softly-spoken, Ross had a deep-seated love of the game and was always willing to offer advice or play a game against the weaker members of the club like myself. I'm sure most clubs have a member like Ross, WHCF has lost theirs, and is much the poorer for it.