Dave Robertson

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Kevin Thurlow

Re: Dave Robertson

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:13 pm

"Really sorry to hear this. I didn't know him at all, but he was obviously someone who gave a lot to chess."

Yes - I did play him at CC 40 years ago, and we had pleasant conversations. He was frequently outspoken on here (not that's necessarily a bad thing), but he was extremely sympathetic and supportive when a sensitive issue arose.

A sad loss.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:54 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:42 pm
The late David Robertson's posts are still here so far as I can discern.
Yes all will remain there apart from Dr. A. Cula which I did always assume was David in disguise.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Bob Kane

Post by Bob Kane » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:33 am

Very sad news, genuinely lovely man, a brilliant mind, sharp and erudite.
I appreciated his wise council on ECF maters, later on FB I looked forward to his posts on art, poetry, and his amusing observations.
I will miss him.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:02 pm

Terribly sad news about David's passing.
I have been informed that for the last few years, David was in indifferent health.
Although I didn't know David personally, by reading his entertaining posts on the forum, he was a bit of a character.
David was quick witted and had a very dry sense of humour.
This for example was one of his exchanges with me which I took on the chin.
It was in the General Chat Category and the Topic was titled "Alex McFarlane is on the mend".
On Tuesday 29th December 2020 in the Topic, I posted to Geoff C "Hi Geoff. Just wandering the latest on Alex. Is he out of hospital?"
David then replied " He's doing fine. Not ready to oblige the Forum's coffin-chaser just yet."
David's last post in the Deaths & Obituaries Category was on Monday 20th December 2021, when he reported the passing of Eve Babitz.
There is a tribute and nice picture of David published on the Atticus Chess Club website on 4th March.
https://atticus.merseysidechess.org.uk
Clearly he did a huge amount to support chess in Liverpool and I am sure the clubs on Merseyside will miss him.
The forum is now a lot poorer place without David's posts.
RIP

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:21 pm

There's an extensive tribute by John Carleton added to the Chester obit with photo from Steve Connor
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:21 pm

Sorry to hear this news - I always enjoyed reading David's posts on this forum (and found myself wondering a few times over the past few weeks what he would have said on various issues). Agree wholeheartedly with the tributes posted here. Thanks for the pointers to the obituaries elsewhere. Did anyone posting here attend the funeral? (Which I believe was held a few days ago.) Condolences to friends and family.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:30 am

Quick addition to this thread (from the August 2022 CHESS editorial by Malcolm Pein):
Malcolm Pein wrote:Following the installation of chess tables at Russell Square in central London, I was delighted to also attend the installation of two chess tables in Sefton Park, Liverpool. One of the driving forces behind this was councillor Laura Robertson Collins, who was married to the late Dave Robertson, a founder member of National Club-winning Atticus Chess Club. Laura told me that the request for chess tables came from some local residents, which is really nice.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:25 pm

Sorry if some think this isn't the right place, but anyway:

With the Chester byelection and its result in the news, I noted that the Labour candidate there in the 1983 GE was one David Robertson.

Knowing his political involvement over several years, was it our man?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Bob Clark

Post by Bob Clark » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:05 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:25 pm
Sorry if some think this isn't the right place, but anyway:

With the Chester byelection and its result in the news, I noted that the Labour candidate there in the 1983 GE was one David Robertson.

Knowing his political involvement over several years, was it our man?
No

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:35 pm

Fair enough, thought it might be a possibility given he was Liverpool based and would have been a plausible age for it.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:24 pm

I don't think David ever stood for Parliament.

He was a staunch Labour man; in his latter years, a bitter opponent of the Corbynite tendency.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:13 pm

Nick Ivell wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:24 pm
He was a staunch Labour man
I know, that's why I thought the question was worth asking :)