Tony Beckett

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Simon Rogers

Tony Beckett

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:27 pm

I am sorry to report that Tony Beckett died on Sunday 6th March 2022, at the age of 83.
Tony was former Team Captain and Club President of Bangor Chess Club in Northern Ireland.
He also served as Ulster Chess Union (UCU) President in the late 1990s and early 2000s.
Tony joined Bangor Chess Club soon after it was founded in 1966 by Eddie Webb and Ron Henderson.
He ran the first ever International Tournament in Ulster, where European Masters came to Belfast.
Tony moved to Edinburgh, Scotland and played for Dunbar, then a local club in Edinburgh.
He also played annually in the summer tournament in Princes Street Gardens, Edinburgh.
His funeral took place on 4th April 2022.
RIP

Paul McKeown

Re: Tony Beckett

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:51 pm

Tony was an affable character. He was himself not a particularly strong player but one with a love for the game, and for whom giving others the opportunity to play was a gift that he gladly and often gave, and well. His son, Howard, was a contemporary of mine in Ulster junior chess, and a strong player. I believe he is now a fairly well known public figure "on the mainland" so to speak. If Howard happens to read this, or a colleague is able to pass on a message, then I send my condolences.