Raymond Pomeroy (10/07/1944 - 29/08/2022)

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Kevin Thurlow

Raymond Pomeroy (10/07/1944 - 29/08/2022)

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:01 pm

Ray was a Vice president of Civil Service Chess Association (CSCA) and the London Civil Service League. Correspondence chess match captain of the CSCA, knock-out tournament controller of the Social Correspondence Chess Association, controller of division 2 of the British Correspondence Chess League, and member of Macclesfield Chess Club, the National Correspondence Chess Club and the Social Correspondence Chess Association.
He started organizing chess in 1961 at school and has continued ever since. He joined Export Guarantee Credit Department (ECGD) in 1963 and played for the departmental team, Credex. As a representative of the London Hostels Association Sports & Social Committee he was on the committee that founded the Monck Street Civil Service Sports & Social Club in the late sixties. He ran the CS Correspondence Chess League from 1973 - 1978 and in his second year the number of teams playing had gone from 12 to 47. Ray organised the CS teams in the British Correspondence Chess League in 1973 and continued to 2022! One year he managed to get twelve CS teams playing in the BCCL, as well as teams in other competitions, and in friendly matches. He was also the CS match captain in "over the board" matches from 1973/4 – 1976/7, and he took on work for various postal chess organisations.

He carried out an immense amount of work for various chess organizations and had time for other interests. Apart from his efficiency, hard work and enthusiasm, we will remember his good nature. His chess organizational career was amazing.

J T Melsom

Re: Raymond Pomeroy (10/07/1944 - 29/08/2022)

Post by J T Melsom » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:22 pm

My first civil service post was actually on Monck St, so I had a number of non chess related visits to the Recreation Centre as it was known by colleagues. I was never really a fan of the recreation facility that replaced it, although that was probably better for chess.

That is though an impressive contribution to chess, although perhaps not so unusual amongst CSCA administrators.

Neville Twitchell

Post by Neville Twitchell » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:56 am

I am very sorry to hear of the death of Ray Pomeroy.
He seemed to have been the captain of the Civil Service correspondence team for which I play for ever, and I have been exchanging e-mails with him for decades. He told me last time round that he was giving up the post due to ill health, but I did not realise he was close to death. Very sad. My condolences to his family and friends.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:35 am

A sad loss. Ray was one of that breed of too-often unsung superhero organisers without whom our game would be much the poorer. I became acquainted with him in his capacity as match captain of the Civil Service OTB side (referred to above). His calm, methodical approach to that role was most impressive, and I'd never have picked him as being only a few years older than myself. Now and then you meet someone who seems to have been a fully mature and capable type almost from birth. Ray was definitely one such. Just a pity I so often didn't seem capable of performing at my best for him.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:03 pm

Very sorry to hear of Ray's death.

I hadn't spoken to him in quite some time, but we had quite a few battles via second class post in the BCCA and NATCOR; he was always very pleasant and took the time to write me a witty note with most moves. About 10 years ago he was playing at the Blackpool congress and took the trouble to seek me out an introduce himself in person.

Curious, none of the Correspondence Chess club sites have made any mention of Ray's passing - I would have thought such a long time servant of the game would have warranted a footnote somewhere!

I got back into CC during Covid and am still playing a few tournaments on ICCF, but I've noticed this form of Chess is in fast decline (quite tricky to even get a game in the BCCA due to lack of active members) In truth it's not a lot of fun anymore - games with older gentleman who are just using a board, a book, their brain and think a calculator is space age technology, are fading into time, as nature takes it's course with a lot of them; in there place are engine using robots you are lucky to get a "Hello" from - Loosing people like Ray will not aid this situation.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:40 pm

"Curious, none of the Correspondence Chess club sites have made any mention of Ray's passing - I would have thought such a long time servant of the game would have warranted a footnote somewhere!"

The most important English one does!

https://www.efcchess.org.uk/

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:29 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:40 pm
"Curious, none of the Correspondence Chess club sites have made any mention of Ray's passing - I would have thought such a long time servant of the game would have warranted a footnote somewhere!"

The most important English one does!

https://www.efcchess.org.uk/
Indeed, was just commenting as a good 3 quarters of his Chess career had focused on the CC side of the game, you'd think he'd be worth a paragraph on the BCCA site.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Ihor Lewyk

Post by Ihor Lewyk » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:55 pm

I was very saddened to hear this. Ray contacted me a few years ago to play in the CSSC teams and I agreed to help where I could as a filler. He contacted me earlier this year to say he was giving up due to ill health. That only seems to be a few weeks ago.
Ray was enthusiastic and his work with the CSSC correspondence teams was a labour of love. I was always happy to jump into one of his teams if he needed a player. A true gentleman and one who will be sadly missed.