George Edward Spence

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Simon Rogers

George Edward Spence

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:22 pm

I am sorry to inform you that George Edward Spence passed away on 17th September 2022, at Park View Nursing Home in Liverpool, at the age of 91.
George was Liverpool Chess Club President for two years and club member for over fifteen years.
The funeral service took place at Springwood Crematorium in Allerton, Liverpool on Friday 7th October in the Rosemary Chapel.
RIP

JamesGallagher

Re: George Edward Spence

Post by JamesGallagher » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:15 pm

6th Oct 22

Today I attempted to visit George Edward Spence again but I got the very sad news that former Liverpool chess club president had passed away on 17th September at Park View Nursing home.

I visited George on a few occasions recently and was delighted to meet him and play a game of chess with him which he told nursing staff he longed to do once again.

George was a club member for over 10 years and president for 2 years. His summary of his time at Liverpool chess club is found below.

I was amazed by his sharp mind aged 91 and his memory of the venues and characters old and new that he came across on Merseyside that he could still rattle of seemed endless.

A great servant and player for Liverpool chess club and those who remembered him described him as a perfect gentleman!

Thank you for service and Rest in Peace George from all at Liverpool Chess club!

The funeral service is at Springwood crematorium in Allerton tomorrow Friday 7th October at 10.30am in the Rosemary Chapel

Jim Gallagher
President of Liverpool Chess ClubImage[/img]

30 July 22

This week we learned that a former Liverpool Chess Club President George Edward Spence (91) was in hospital and was telling staff and patients how much he would love a game of chess which he hasn’t played for many years now.
Current Liverpool president Jim Gallagher went to visit George who was delighted to have a game of chess. We researched George’s history at the club over 15 years which is very impressive which Jim read out to George and is detailed below.
We also gave George a chess set to keep by his bed, a Liverpool Chess Club T-shirt, picture of famous Blackburne simil at Liverpool chess club in 1890 and a few chess books to keep him busy!
George is still very astute but a little frail now and we encourage members of Liverpool chess club to visit George in the Royal Liverpool hospital ward 3A for a quick game if you get a chance!
So pleased the staff and patients alerted us to Georges situation and was a real honour to meet him and hear his memories of his time at the club. We will keep in touch with George from now on!

George Edward Spence

Liverpool Chess Club

1951 - Joined 1st Oct 1951 (aged 20)

1952 - C Tournament Winner

1953 - Honorary Librarian

Liverpool 4th Team Captain

1955 - B Tournament Winner

1957 - joint 3rd place in A Tournament and Material Handicap Division 2 Winner

1958 - Treasurer of Liverpool Chess Club

- A Tournament Runner Up behind D Lees

1959 - Elected club delegate to AGM of Liverpool and District chess League

1960/61 - President of Liverpool Chess Club