Page 1 of 2

FM Mike Franklin (02-ii-1931 25-iv-2023)

Posted: Fri May 05, 2023 8:23 pm
by John Upham
BCN is sorry to report the passing of FM Mike Franklin on April 25th, 2023. :cry:

He was 92 years old.

Mike was one of England's most respected and liked players.

Remembering FM Mike Franklin (02-ii-1931 25-iv-2023)



img_0004_smaller.jpg
Michael Franklin receives £220 from Councillor Robert Dickson at the 1980 Nottinghamshire Congress
img_0004_smaller.jpg (311.47 KiB) Viewed 3429 times

Re: FM Mike Franklin (02-ii-1931 25-iv-2023)

Posted: Fri May 05, 2023 8:34 pm
by Nick Ivell
Sorry to hear. A fine player - I had the privilege of losing to him once - and a confirmed user of descriptive notation.

Re: FM Mike Franklin (02-ii-1931 25-iv-2023)

Posted: Fri May 05, 2023 8:42 pm
by Simon Rogers
Very sad news about Mike.
RIP
Thanks for the lengthy tribute John.
Very informative.
Did he release any publications?

Re: FM Mike Franklin (02-ii-1931 25-iv-2023)

Posted: Fri May 05, 2023 9:09 pm
by Leonard Barden
RIP, my old friend. After two wins when we were both schoolboys, I never managed to defeat him in a competitive game. Michael was a true gentleman, a calm and approachable person who rarely spoke harsh words. As a player, he had excellent strategic and blitz skills, was IM strength in his best years, and possessed a fine understanding of his favourite London and O'Kelly systems,

Re: FM Mike Franklin (02-ii-1931 25-iv-2023)

Posted: Fri May 05, 2023 10:20 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
Nick Ivell wrote: ↑
Fri May 05, 2023 8:34 pm
Sorry to hear. A fine player - I had the privilege of losing to him once - and a confirmed user of descriptive notation.
Though ISTR a claim on here that he hardly ever kept his game scores.

Re: FM Mike Franklin (02-ii-1931 25-iv-2023)

Posted: Fri May 05, 2023 10:54 pm
by Kevin Thurlow
A sad loss. The only time I saw him rattled was at the Portsmouth Hilton, when he went to collect more toast at breakfast time and returned to his table, to find some eager waitress had cleared the table, cleaned it and seated other customers there. He was still considerably more polite than most people would have been.

He was a tough opponent, but always a pleasure to play.

Re: FM Mike Franklin (02-ii-1931 25-iv-2023)

Posted: Fri May 05, 2023 11:38 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
Very sorry to hear this news. I only knew him towards the end of his time playing for Richmond and Twickenham Chess Club, and he was (as others have said) a true gentleman. Thank you, John, for the fine tribute from BCN, with some lovely photos and nice games.

Re: FM Mike Franklin (02-ii-1931 25-iv-2023)

Posted: Sat May 06, 2023 6:45 am
by Andrew Martin
Very sad news. A true gentleman and to me, a friend. We travelled extensively over the UK to weekend tournaments during the 1980’s

A unique player. I will miss him . RIP Michael

Re: FM Mike Franklin (02-ii-1931 25-iv-2023)

Posted: Sat May 06, 2023 7:00 am
by Peter Sowray
Very sorry to hear this news. We must have played about a dozen times over a 40 year period. Condolences to friends and family.

Re: FM Mike Franklin (02-ii-1931 25-iv-2023)

Posted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:29 am
by NickFaulks
A great man and a wonderful chess player.

He gave me an early lesson in the tough school of competitive chess. In one of my first Weekend Opens, I played out of my skin to end up defending KNP v KRP and demonstrated that the rook could make no progress. Eventually he gave me an opportunity to exchange the pawns, which I naturally grabbed to put the game to bed, but found instead that KR v KN offered new problems which I could not solve.

Re: FM Mike Franklin (02-ii-1931 25-iv-2023)

Posted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:50 am
by John Upham
Here is a miniature sent by Ken Norman from Southend 1962:


Re: FM Mike Franklin (02-ii-1931 25-iv-2023)

Posted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:56 am
by John Upham
and another from the 1963 Ilford Congress:

Wheatcroft plays MJFs favourite weapon (The O'Kelly Variation) against our hero:


Re: FM Mike Franklin (02-ii-1931 25-iv-2023)

Posted: Sat May 06, 2023 3:23 pm
by John Saunders
Very sad news. I always enjoyed meeting and chatting with him. A few decades back we met across the board and also enjoyed a correspondence game.

I have assembled a collection of his games at BritBase - https://www.saund.co.uk/britbase/pgn/fr ... iewer.html - 583 games in total.

Re: FM Mike Franklin (02-ii-1931 25-iv-2023)

Posted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:37 pm
by JohnBass
A great shame that we have lost Michael. I played him a number of times over the years and was often in the same team as him playing for Richmond & Twickenham. As others have noted, he was a true English gentleman and always had a polite word for everyone. One of his passions I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere is that he was huge fan of big band jazz (Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Count Basie etc). RIP Michael.

Re: FM Mike Franklin (02-ii-1931 25-iv-2023)

Posted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:43 pm
by Angus French
I can't claim to have known Michael but I once gave him a lift to a county match and recall:
- he was a talkative chap - and recounted, for example, playing table tennis with Mikhail Tal at Hastings; and,
- his home had a front door with a stained glass chess piece design.