Richard Simpson

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Simon Rogers

Richard Simpson

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:29 pm

I am sorry to inform you that Shirley & Wythall Chess Club stalwart, Richard Simpson died two weeks ago, after a long illness.
Richard played enthusiastically for Shirley & Wythall for 15 or more years, in both winter leagues (Birmingham and Leamington Districts) and in the Birmingham Summer League occasionally. He captained the Fourth Team in the Birmingham & District Chess League for 10 seasons, relinquishing the responsibility only last season.
Richard also represented Warwickshire many times in the national County Championships.
The funeral will be at 11:00am on Friday 22nd December, at Redditch Crematorium, and afterwards at Kings Norton Golf Club.
RIP

John Swain

Re: Richard Simpson

Post by John Swain » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:40 pm

I encountered Richard quite often when he was in charge of chess at King Edward's School, Edgbaston, Birmingham and used to run the Birmingham and District Schools Rapidplay tournaments for teams of eight players with model efficiency. These events attracted teams from distant places. Richard was extremely courteous and very good company. A true gentleman.

Nothing was too much trouble for Richard. I recall that he located some documents about a nineteenth century ancestor of mine who was Headmaster of King Edward's School, Aston (part of the King Edward's foundation).

My sincere condolences to Richard's family and friends. RIP.

Nigel White

Re: Richard Simpson

Post by Nigel White » Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:06 pm

I am very sorry to hear about Richard's death. Although we were both chess players, I knew him from another setting (although we once did play for opposing teams, but not against each other, in an Essex v Warwickshire match). When I became the Treasurer of the British Society for the History of Mathematics (BSHM) he was the Secretary. He was immensely helpful to me in my role, he seemed to know everything about the Society and would volunteer to sort out problems. I have informed the BSHM, who were unaware of his death.