Chris White

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Simon Rogers

Chris White

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:44 pm

I am sorry to inform you that Chris White has recently died, aged 74.
Chris was a regular player for many years for Barking Chess Club in the Essex League and Woodbridge Chess Club in the London League.
He started playing at Ilford Chess Club in his school days and was a strong player at his best, reaching a grade of 170 on the old system.
In recent years, he had been living in Clacton. He worked as a Post Office clerk and, apart from chess, he was a skilled bass guitarist.
RIP

John Clarke

Re: Chris White

Post by John Clarke » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:42 am

Sorry to hear that. I remember Chris quite well (also his clubmates John(?) Murrell and Peter Harbott) from encountering Barking in the North Circular Chess League back in the 70s. Good players all, but rather disorganised at times when it came to getting their team to away matches. Chris was a distinct personality - his prematurely-balding head and the pipe he smoked at the board made him seem older than he actually was. Quite surprised to learn he was only 74 (O God, that's my age ..... )
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)