Page 1 of 2
Tim Dickinson
Posted: Thu May 29, 2025 9:08 am
by LawrenceCooper
https://oxfordfusion.com/oca/GetNews.cf ... 2024&Org=1
"Adam Dickinson wishes to let the Oxfordshire chess community know that Tim Dickinson died a couple of weeks ago.
As well as organising the Oxford teams in the 4NCL, Tim was the esteemed controller of many local tournaments, blending excellent knowledge and leadership with unfailing good humour.
Tim's funeral will be held at 15:00 on Thursday 19 June at the West Lancashire Cemetery and Crematorium, Burscough. The website has directions. Anyone is welcome to attend."
Re: Tim Dickinson
Posted: Thu May 29, 2025 10:14 am
by Brendan O'Gorman
Awful news. One of my favourite arbiters.
Re: Tim Dickinson
Posted: Thu May 29, 2025 10:51 am
by John Upham
From happier times:
Tim Dickinson, 2nd Michael Uriely Memorial Tournament, May 7th 2017

- Tim Dickinson, 2nd Michael Uriely Memorial Tournament, May 7th 2017
- mum_2206_lv.jpg (680.18 KiB) Viewed 4446 times
Re: Tim Dickinson
Posted: Thu May 29, 2025 10:53 am
by John Upham
And again
Tim Dickinson, 2nd Michael Uriely Memorial Tournament, May 7th 2017
(with Rob Uriely)

- Tim Dickinson, 2nd Michael Uriely Memorial Tournament, May 7th 2017
- mum_2360_lv.jpg (892.58 KiB) Viewed 4445 times
Re: Tim Dickinson
Posted: Thu May 29, 2025 11:05 am
by Christopher Kreuzer
That is shocking news, sad and unexpected.
Another reaction here, from the bridge community:
https://www.bridgewebs.com/menagerie/
We are much saddened to learn of the sudden and unexpected death of Tim Dickinson.
Nick Smith writes, "I partnered Tim, off and on, over the last thirty years and, as you know, he was a very talented player. He was also courteous, patient, gentlemanly and well-liked by everyone he played. He had been a member of our Wessex League squad for several years, and was part of our league-winning team in 2022/23 and 2023/24.
I will also remember Tim as a good friend. Despite the limitations caused by his deafness, he happily joined me and Chris Cooper to make up an Only Connect team, “the Bridge Players”. More recently, he was one of the few people prepared to have a go at my fiendish single dummy problems, often solving them and being prepared to help me fine-tune them. I was in touch with him several times in the last few weeks and he seemed to be thriving, running chess congresses, etc. so this is a great shock."
I was not aware of the Only Connect connection. The team was known as 'The Bridge Players'.
RIP Tim.
Re: Tim Dickinson
Posted: Thu May 29, 2025 11:15 am
by Christopher Kreuzer
Tim also appeared on Countdown (he was 23 in 1995, so about 53 now):
https://wiki.apterous.org/Tim_Dickinson (
photo)

- TimDickinson_Countdown_1995.jpeg (88.08 KiB) Viewed 4413 times
Re: Tim Dickinson
Posted: Thu May 29, 2025 11:59 am
by LawrenceCooper
R.I.P. Tim from a fellow 4NCL captain.
Tim Dickinson.jpg
Re: Tim Dickinson
Posted: Thu May 29, 2025 12:39 pm
by John Upham
LawrenceCooper wrote: ↑Thu May 29, 2025 11:59 am
R.I.P. Tim from a fellow 4NCL captain.
Tim Dickinson.jpg
Thanks for digging it out Loz.
I had forgotten I had taken it. London Chess Classic 4th December 2012.
Re: Tim Dickinson
Posted: Thu May 29, 2025 12:43 pm
by John Townsend
I knew him from the Kidlington congress and played against him once or twice. We had exciting games, including a wild draw in a County Jamboree game. I regarded him as an adventurous and thoroughly sportsmanlike player. R.I.P.
Re: Tim Dickinson
Posted: Thu May 29, 2025 12:54 pm
by John Upham
John Townsend wrote: ↑Thu May 29, 2025 12:43 pm
I knew him from the Kidlington congress and played against him once or twice. We had exciting games, including a wild draw in a County Jamboree game. I regarded him as an adventurous and thoroughly sportsmanlike player. R.I.P.
Played on April 2nd 2005?
Re: Tim Dickinson
Posted: Thu May 29, 2025 2:18 pm
by James Coleman
I’m really shocked to hear this. I knew Tim quite well, both from my junior days and from when I played for Oxford 4NCL from its inception and then in its early years, when it was a group of us friends more or less self-managing the team, before Tim came along and did the captaincy properly.
Anything on the organisational front you could always count on him to deliver. It’s a cliche to say that someone ‘was one of the nicest guys you could meet’ but that definitely applies in Tim’s case.
He gave a huge amount to chess and his passing has come far too soon. RIP.
Re: Tim Dickinson
Posted: Thu May 29, 2025 2:23 pm
by John Townsend
Yes, John, played on 2 April 2005. I didn't know you were a fan of my games.
Re: Tim Dickinson
Posted: Thu May 29, 2025 2:41 pm
by Ian Thompson
John Townsend wrote: ↑Thu May 29, 2025 2:23 pm
Yes, John, played on 2 April 2005. I didn't know you were a fan of my games.
It must have taken John seconds to
look it up.
Re: Tim Dickinson
Posted: Thu May 29, 2025 3:24 pm
by John Upham
Ian Thompson wrote: ↑Thu May 29, 2025 2:41 pm
John Townsend wrote: ↑Thu May 29, 2025 2:23 pm
Yes, John, played on 2 April 2005. I didn't know you were a fan of my games.
It must have taken John seconds to
look it up.
It took several hours.
Re: Tim Dickinson
Posted: Thu May 29, 2025 4:06 pm
by John Moore
Very sad news.