Page 1 of 4
Gerald Bennett
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2025 11:26 am
by GFBennett
Gerald Bennett my father sadly passed away very unexpectedly this week. He was a very active chess player on the circuit in the 1970s and I believe into the early 1990s. Although he stopped playing club chess he was active online!
It would be lovely to hear any stories from those who knew him when he played. Please do get in contact.
Re: Gerald Bennett
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2025 11:57 am
by Christopher Kreuzer
Thank you for informing us, and condolences on your father's passing.
I assume this is the Gerald H. Bennett mentioned (and pictured) on these two pages?
https://www.saund.co.uk/britbase/pgn/19 ... iewer.html
https://hampshirechesshistory.co.uk/ham ... ship-1973/
Any relation to the Terry B. Bennett who played in the same tournament in 1973?
What year was your father born?
Re: Gerald Bennett
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2025 11:58 am
by Ian Thompson
GFBennett wrote: ↑Sun Dec 14, 2025 11:26 am
He was a very active chess player on the circuit in the 1970s and I believe into the early 1990s.
His
rating record shows he was still playing until the 1997/98 season. The letters after the numbers in the Rating History indicate how many games. A meant more than 30 games in a season; E meant (I think) at least 10 games in the previous three seasons, with at least one game in the current season; C was something between that, maybe at least 10 or 15 games in the current season.
I'm sure you would find information about him on the
Hampshire Chess History website if you're interested.
Re: Gerald Bennett
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2025 12:06 pm
by Richard Bates
Before my time, but a pretty famous name on the weekend circuit i believe. I recall a picture of him once having won the (then) Cutty Sark Grand Prix (i guess in the mid to late 70s?) holding an enormous bottle of c̶h̶a̶m̶p̶a̶g̶n̶e̶ whisky. I’m sure there will be memories.
Condolences and RIP.
Re: Gerald Bennett
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2025 12:10 pm
by Roger de Coverly
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: ↑Sun Dec 14, 2025 11:57 am
Any relation to the Terry B. Bennett who played in the same tournament in 1973?
I played both of them in the early 1970s. They were not related to my knowledge.
Gerald Bennett was a well known figure even before he had a titanic battle with Tony Miles for the Cutty Sark Grand Prix. A secret weapon was his camper van which not only allowed him to travel to tournaments but also provided accommodation when there. He even tried the feat of playing an August Bank Holiday tournament in Marlow whilst also playing in a two week event in Southport. I think the Southport event was two Monday to Friday tournaments back to back with Blitz events at the weekend. Tournaments played in schools would allow camping on the premises.
The culmination of his year long battle with Tony Miles is documented here
https://www.saund.co.uk/britbase/pgn/19 ... iewer.html, That site will also have records of his other tournament appearances of the period.
Re: Gerald Bennett
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2025 1:36 pm
by Kevin Thurlow
Not before my time, but what Richard said. I never played him, but he was certainly a big name, and I always hoped to play him.
Condolences from me too.
Re: Gerald Bennett
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2025 3:47 pm
by Nick Ivell
I remember Gerald winning the first Guernsey tournament I played in. Must have have been 1975. A charming man and a very fine player.
Re: Gerald Bennett
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2025 5:04 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
Also played for Rhodesia (as it then was) in the 1970 Olympiad.
Re: Gerald Bennett
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2025 5:31 pm
by Roger de Coverly
Matt Mackenzie wrote: ↑Sun Dec 14, 2025 5:04 pm
Also played for Rhodesia (as it then was) in the 1970 Olympiad.
According to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19th_Chess_Olympiad that was a Mike J Bennett.
Re: Gerald Bennett
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2025 5:32 pm
by John Upham
Gerald Bennett and Tony Miles "sharing" the £1000 First Prize in the Cutty Sark Grand Prix.
British Chess Magazine, volume XCV (95) February 1975, page 57

- Gerald Bennett and Tony Miles "sharing" the £1000 First Prize in the Cutty Sark Grand Prix. British Chess Magazine Volume XCV (95) February 1975, page 57
- bennett_miles.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 6062 times
Re: Gerald Bennett
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2025 5:54 pm
by GFBennett
Thank you all for the posts and yes that is indeed Dad. We have a copy of the photo with the giant bottle! He was very proud of that win. Not playing myself I am delighted to have these links and background on this part of his life.
Re: Gerald Bennett
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2025 5:55 pm
by GFBennett
Yes this is Dad he was born in 1949
No relation to Terry Bennett
Re: Gerald Bennett
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2025 5:57 pm
by GFBennett
Nick Ivell wrote: ↑Sun Dec 14, 2025 3:47 pm
I remember Gerald winning the first Guernsey tournament I played in. Must have have been 1975. A charming man and a very fine player.
He actually met Mum at this tournament as she was part of the chess club organising the tournament!
Re: Gerald Bennett
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2025 6:00 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
Chessgames.com has it wrong then (not for the first time)
Re: Gerald Bennett
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2025 6:52 pm
by NickFaulks
I started playing Congress chess during that 1975 Grand Prix season. At one event, in a break between rounds, I remember being impressed by seeing ( more, hearing ) a game of bullet chess involving Gerald. There was no clock, the time control consisted of him shouting MOVE! every time he banged down a piece. His own moves were of course played instantly.