Tony Robson

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
raycollett

Tony Robson

Post by raycollett » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:03 pm

The death has been reported by Northants players of Tony Robson of Chesspoint, Northampton. I have no further information at present. Ray Collett MCCU Webmaster

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Tony Robson

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:53 am

raycollett wrote:The death has been reported by Northants players of Tony Robson of Chesspoint, Northampton. I have no further information at present. Ray Collett MCCU Webmaster
That is sad news. I never met him, but it was only a few months ago that he posted in this thread ('Innovations in chess organisation'):

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2343

I was looking forward to hearing more about those innovations. If more information is forthcoming, please do let us know, and please pass on my condolences.

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:17 am

I received the following message from Alan Walters, Chairman, Chesspoint, on 13 January:
It is with great sadness and regret that I have to inform all of you that Tony Robson died on Tuesday. He had been undergoing treatment for cancer during recent months.

Tony joined Northampton Chess Club in 2006. He ran the Youth Chess Academy during the club's year at the Central Library and then served the club as secretary from 2008-2010. Tony will also be remembered for his work to introduce more people to chess ("Bringing Chess to the Community") by setting up ChessPoint Services, a community organisation with which many of you are associated. He will be sadly missed.
Although I did not know Tony personally, we had corresponded during the last couple of months of last year. I had been impressed by what I heard of ChessPoint Services at the ECF AGM (when the organisation was elected to membership) and invited Tony to write about the organisation for the ECF newsletter, Chess Moves. Tony was very enthusiastic and wrote an inspiring article which will appear in the Jan/Feb issue, due any time now. It was a sad irony that I had been reading the proofs of the article and was just about to write to Tony thanking him for his efforts when I received Alan's message. Tony must have worked on the article despite his illness, which speaks volumes for his passionate commitment to the organisation.

raycollett

Post by raycollett » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:34 pm

An appreciation of Tony's contribution to chess in Northampton appears on the MCCU website at:
http://www.mccu.org.uk/obits/tony_robson-nn.htm