Iain Stenhouse (1940-2011)

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
James Pratt

Iain Stenhouse (1940-2011)

Post by James Pratt » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:08 am

I have just learned of the death of Iain Stenhouse, well known chessplayer from Southampton. If anybody has any additional information about him, games especially welcome, please let me know. The picture on the BCM website is characteristically good humoured, a great tribute to a nice guy.

James Pratt
BCM ET
http://www.britishchessmagazine.co.uk/

Malcolm Clarke

Re: Iain Stenhouse (1940-2011)

Post by Malcolm Clarke » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:38 am

There was a reasonably lengthy article written by Keith Hamiton in the Southern Daily Echo of 29th July. I think that his funeral is on Friday in Southampton, but I will confirm that by Monday.

He worked for the Southern Daily Echo from 1967 to 1990, and was chess correspondent of the paper for almost all of that time (If not the whole time).

Towards the end of his life he lived in a nursing home in the New Forest, but prior to that he was a long standing member of Southampton Chess Club, a county captain, and gave a lot of assistance to Hampshire junior chess.

A few of his games including all six he played in the 2001 Hampshire Individual tournament are shown on the Internet.

Someone from Southampton Chess Club might be able toprovide more information, but hopefully this is a start.

Malcolm Clarke

Re: Iain Stenhouse (1940-2011)

Post by Malcolm Clarke » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:31 pm

Following up from ny first post I would mention that Iain Stenhouse's funeral is at Southampton Crematorium East Chapel on Friday 19th August at 2pm. The request is for no flowers, but donations to be made to Parkinson's Disease Funeral Directors A H Cheater, 132 The Hundred, Romsey, SO51 8BY.

If anyone does wish to go the funeral the request is for bright colours and no mourning.