Page 1 of 1

Alan Munro Stewart (Correspondence Chess)

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:20 pm
by Alan McGowan
Can anyone help with information on Alan Munro Stewart, several times British CC champion? I am trying to respond to a researcher in Russia.

1. Any biographical details: the researcher gives 1947-2008. Gaige shows date of birth as c1943, Newbattle ENG, though that should possibly read SCO, as there is a Newbattle in Midlothian. Does anyone know of an obituary in a correspondence chess publication?

2. The game G.R. Mitchell-A.M. Stewart, British Correspondence Championship 1979-80.

I have already been in touch with Ian Mackintosh at the SCCA, Alan Borwell, past president of the ICCF, and Tim Harding, but without success.

I suspect that if Tim Harding does not have the game then it was not published. Alan Borwell commented that Mr Stewart seemed to have played in British/English CC competitions, rather than those of the SCCA; perhaps he lived in England?

Thank you.
Alan McGowan
Historian, Chess Scotland
www.chessscotland.com

Re: Alan Munro Stewart (Correspondence Chess)

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:07 pm
by Paul Bielby
Alan Munro Stewart lived and played for many years in Sunderland. In the 1970s he played OTB chess regularly for the Sunderland NALGO Chess Club (now defunct). I last heard of him playing on top board for the County Durham Correspondence team in 2008, but have no more recent news.

Re: Alan Munro Stewart (Correspondence Chess)

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:44 pm
by Alan McGowan
Paul, thank you Paul for these details. I am now contacting the NCCU in the hope of further information.

Re: Alan Munro Stewart (Correspondence Chess)

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:51 pm
by William Metcalfe
I have left a message for the Durham correspondance captain to contact me i will see what i can find out Alan

Re: Alan Munro Stewart (Correspondence Chess)

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:54 pm
by William Metcalfe
His last game for Durham was 2007/08 season he beat John Toothill who plays for Cumbria

Re: Alan Munro Stewart (Correspondence Chess)

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:44 pm
by Colin Patterson
Alan, the 'Newbattle ENG' given by Gaige (p.408) appears to be a typo - 'Newbottle' is a village within Sunderland Metropolitan Borough and this will be what Gaige intended to write.

His birth is recorded as being in Sunderland, second quarter of 1947 (see free BMD records website). Curiously, his middle name 'Munro' is also his mother's maiden name (according to this record).

Re: Alan Munro Stewart (Correspondence Chess)

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:15 pm
by Colin Patterson
Alan, some biographical details of AM Stewart are given on p.581 of the November 1980 BCM. If I find any other sources, I will post them here.

Re: Alan Munro Stewart (Correspondence Chess)

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:46 pm
by Colin Patterson
Alan, I found two of his 1979-80 games self-annotated in CHESS (January 1980, pp.61-62), but neither is the game you are seeking.

Re: Alan Munro Stewart (Correspondence Chess)

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:17 pm
by Alan McGowan
William, thank you for offering to help. I have already emailed NCCU Secretary Dave Cole, so surely we will get a few more 'snippets'.
Colin, thank you for clarifying place of birth; another interesting example of one small typo causing questions to be raised! I will follow-up with the web site you mentioned re date of birth. I have the BCM 1980; thanks for drawing my attention to this.

I have also noted some information from the ICCF web pages.

Regards to all,
Alan

Re: Alan Munro Stewart (Correspondence Chess)

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:26 pm
by William Metcalfe
Having spoken to local collegues i have been unable to find much out Alan was a very shy private man he passed away playing a correspondance game for Durham county we only found out he had passed away when his opponent contacted our correspondance captain saying he had not received a move back from Alan.Contact was made with his sister at the time we are looking to see if anybody still has a contact number for her.Sorry i could not be of more help Alan