MHH

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Post Reply
James Pratt
Posts: 728
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:10 pm

MHH

Post by James Pratt » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:27 pm

Martin Hawley has died. Born in 1946 in Fulham, strong postal player Centymca member in the 70s. Died Spring, 2012.

Who can add to this brief entry, I wonder?

BCM ET
James Pratt

User avatar
John Clarke
Posts: 914
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:07 pm

Re: MHH

Post by John Clarke » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:02 am

He caused a minor sensation by beating Hartston at the 1971 Ilford Open. MH was White in a Sicilian; the game was printed in Chess under the curious heading "Attacking the King by Unusual Methods". 'Fraid I no longer have that issue, or I'd supply the score.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Post Reply