Mark Sanderson RIP

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Andy Howie

Mark Sanderson RIP

Post by Andy Howie » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:37 am

I have been asked to post this by Alan Archibald, of Edinburgh Chess Club.

It's my sad duty to report that Mark Sanderson, of the Edinburgh Chess Club, was killed in a traffic accident just outside Peebles on Monday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... d-19162460

As well as being an active player (fond of various gambits), Mark was a tireless and efficient organiser (currently both Treasurer and organiser of our junior training), as he had been when he was living in Manchester and will leave an enormous gap at Edinburgh CC. But he will mostly be missed for his easy smile, boyish enthusiaism and affable manner.

David Archibald, Secretary,
Edinburgh Chess Club

Mick Norris

Re: Mark Sanderson RIP

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:17 pm

Thanks for the notification of this awful news

Mark was Secretary of the Greater Manchester County Chess Association

Our thoughts go out to his friends and family at this sad time
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Andy Howie

Re: Mark Sanderson RIP

Post by Andy Howie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:57 am

"Here are the details for Mark’s funeral – these are provisional at the moment as the post mortem is yet to be done. My mother did consider holding the service in Edinburgh but as she herself only got out of hospital on Tuesday following a fall several weeks ago and is in her eighties she decided it was wiser to hold it in our home town of Kirkcaldy. We realise this makes it much harder for people from Edinburgh to attend but do hope some folks from Edinburgh Chess Club can manage.

The service will be held on Friday 17th August at 2.15pm and will be held in the service room of ‘Crosbie Matthew Funeral Directors’, 199 Nicol Street, Kirkcaldy, KY1 1TF (parking is in surrounding streets). After the service there will be a very short ‘family-only’ committal at the local crematorium – those who attend the service are invited to gather at the Victoria Hotel, 28 Victoria Road, KY1 1DS for refreshments and the family will join them there after the committal."

John Sanderson (Mark's brother).

Anyone intending to be there please contact the Edinburgh C.C. president, Neil Berry: ([email protected]) so that the family can know the approximate numbers.
Thanks, David Archibald