Eric E Croker

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Stewart Reuben

Eric E Croker

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:32 pm

You can read my obituary of him on the ECF website. He died Thursday 18 December.
He was, of course, an absolute mainstay of English chess administration for many years, but retired nearly 20 years ago.

Gordon Cadden

Re: Eric E Croker

Post by Gordon Cadden » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:50 pm

Arbiter and chess administrator for many years. He had a fine collection of chess books which I believe he left to the National Chess Library, some years ago.

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:38 pm

Very sorry to hear that: a gentleman, and someone blessed with pragmatic common sense.

PB

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:37 pm

Sorry to hear about this (though at 91 he'd had a pretty good innings). I played alongside Eric dozens of times in Civil Service League matches - we both worked for the then Department of Education and Science. Besides being a fine county-standard player, as a person he was never less than gentlemanly and tactful, qualities that at times were regrettably necessary when I was in the side and Bob Pentecost was match captain. He must have been a superb arbiter.

Stewart's obit refers to a witty letter Eric wrote to Chess c1966, on the descriptive vs algebraic debate. The point Eric made was that descriptive need not necessarily take up more space than algebraic, provided you cut out all the unnecessary characters - e.g. the dash, the piece name or arrival square, even the move itself if it were forced. A neat brevity by Eric himself ("just to remind you, by the way, that there was a time when I might win a game" illustrated the idea to perfection.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:02 am

Yes - a sad loss. He turned up at a tournament to watch me arbiting (and refused offers of travelling expenses etc) and was very encouraging. He always seemed totally unflappable, whatever the provocation, and he did an enormous amount of work for chess in general.

Ronnie Burton

Post by Ronnie Burton » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:44 pm

A true Gentleman and excellent tournament controller for many years at Guernsey.