Joe Morrison

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Neil Graham

Joe Morrison

Post by Neil Graham » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:52 pm

I append an obituary from the Ecclesall Chess Club at Sheffield. Joe played at a number of events where I was arbiter and I recall him as a courteous gentleman who always thanked the organisers of the tournaments.

Joe Morrison

It is with the greatest of sadness that we report the passing of Joe Morrison, a stalwart of Ecclesall Chess Club. After a successful career as violinist with the Birmingham Symphony Orchestra and the London Philharmonic Orchestra Joe joined Ecclesall Chess Club in the late 1990s. He has played for every team in the club and has captained many of them. At the time of his death he was an honorary member of the club and as Tournament Organiser he was organising the Club Championship. Everyone that met him counts him among their friends and he will be sadly missed.

Pete Willoughby - for Ecclesall Chess Club

Brendan O'Gorman

Re: Joe Morrison

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:19 pm

Joe Morrison (1).jpg
Joe at the 2014 Nottingham congress.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:24 pm

I played Joe Morrison at York Congress in (I think) 2009; a very hard fought game against an extremely pleasant and courteous opponent. I saw him at several events after but we were never paired again. I'm sorry to hear of his death.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:09 pm

What a shock I didn’t think Joe was all that old!

I played Joe twice, both times with white. The 2nd was definitely at the Sheffield congress in 2013 where giving up his good Bishop for a Knight in a four Knights game proved lethal for him.

The other time was before that, I’ve a feeling at Scarborough or somewhere, but I can’t seem to find the result - That time he was all over me on the black side of a Slav (he played a line I didn’t like which is why I played 1.e4 the next time) but he blundered and I either got a draw out of it or managed to beat him in the end. I can’t remember now.

I also remember at the Sheffield Congress one year, there was a prize for best game and a 80 grade club mate of mine from Leeds submitted his game with Joe - After Joe had been all over him, Joe blundered badly and my club mate was able to win it. The guy in question was convinced this game would win a prize and took the trouble to copy it all out neatly on a score sheet - I tried explaining that they would be looking for blunder free games, not one where such a clanger was dropped, but he wasn’t having any.

As it turned out I won best game that year (along with joint first) because my opponent John Gibbs submitted our draw for consideration - my said club mate was not happy!

RIP Joe, I can’t say I knew him well, but we had some very nice pre-game chats as well as the odd hello when we bumped into each other at congresses, he seemed a very kind and courteous old gent.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker