Michael Uriely, 2006-2015
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:05 pm
It is painful to talk about the death of someone so young, and so soon after his passing. Michael was a lovely boy, who was growing into a fine young man, but was afflicted with asthma. He did not let this stand in the way of his enthusiasm for chess, and I was privileged to know him and his family through events at Hendon Chess Club, and many chess tournaments. I will try to find a decent photograph of Michael, but in the mean time here is one from a few years ago.
http://www.hendonchessclub.com/images/256.jpg
He was always polite and sporting. He put others first, accepted good and bad results with equally good humour. More than once his adult opponents made a point of pointing out his talent and maturity. He was a gentleman. I am not surprised that he had so many friends in the chess community, of all ages and backgrounds.
He appeared to deal with his condition bravely, and without drama, and continued to play till the end - he was playing chess at the Mind Sports Olympiad the day before he died.
There is no death, just a change of worlds, and I know that whatever world Michael inhabits right now he is blessed with full health, and I hope he has a chess set with him and a strong opponent to entertain him.
http://www.hendonchessclub.com/images/256.jpg
He was always polite and sporting. He put others first, accepted good and bad results with equally good humour. More than once his adult opponents made a point of pointing out his talent and maturity. He was a gentleman. I am not surprised that he had so many friends in the chess community, of all ages and backgrounds.
He appeared to deal with his condition bravely, and without drama, and continued to play till the end - he was playing chess at the Mind Sports Olympiad the day before he died.
There is no death, just a change of worlds, and I know that whatever world Michael inhabits right now he is blessed with full health, and I hope he has a chess set with him and a strong opponent to entertain him.