Geoff F Harris

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Leonard Barden

Geoff F Harris

Post by Leonard Barden » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:40 am

A post today on chessgames.com states:

Geoff Harris of Stourbridge (England) died on 27 May 2016, aged 86 years. He hadn't played competitive chess for many years, but in his day he was a very strong player.

I have good reason to remember Geoff, because he was my opponent in the final round of the British Championship at Nottingham 1954. As I recall, I stood better from an English Opening, but he defended actively and well to draw, thus keeping me from outright first place.

John Saunders

Re: Geoff F Harris

Post by John Saunders » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:54 am

Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

raycollett

Re: Geoff F Harris

Post by raycollett » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:00 pm

I have been informed of the recent death of Geoff. There is a short news item on the Worcestershire Chess Association website
7 Jan, Eric Horwill and Brian Dudley report. Memorial service for Stourbridge and county stalwart. Geoff Harris, a lifetime member of Stourbridge, was remembered at a service at St Peter's Church, Pedmore. At his peak, Geoff was a 200+ player, twice champion of Worcestershire in 1961-2 and 1962-3. He represented England and of course Worcestershire in team play. His best performance in the British Championship was in 1954 when he was 6th. He played board 1 for the Lye team to win the Worcestershire Chess League and after the closure of that club joined Stourbridge. Again playing on board 1 he helped his team to win two BDCL championship and several Worcestershire titles. He is remembered as a "genuine gentleman of the chess board" and will be much missed by all.