John Philpott

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
John Reyes

John Philpott

Post by John Reyes » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:03 pm

Just seen this on Facebook

From
Robin philpott

It is with great sadness and shock that I must inform of the sudden passing of John.

He was an eccentric man, an English gentleman, who went out his way for others, loved Cheese, Chess, West Ham, Anahiem Angels and living on Mersea Island, where he felt at home actively participating in several choirs and the community.

The alarm was raised after he failed to meet up for West Ham vs Crystal Palace followed by Steel Panther tonight. Shortly thereafter he was discovererd by a neighbour.

#johnphilpott #Essexu175 #muitosaudades #dad #toosoon #withEileennow #WestHamwonforJohn #goodbyeoldman
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Carl Hibbard

Re: John Philpott

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:38 pm

On no that's terribly sad news I was expecting his AGM report today bit shocked.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:44 pm

Utterly shocked. I'm sure he only retired a few months ago.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:58 pm

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:35 pm

Shocked by his sudden passing. On a day West Ham managed to win. JP big West Ham fan and loyal servant to the ECF and Essex Chess. RIP. Condolences to his family.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:39 pm

A terrible shock. I only met John once (briefly at the Aberystwyth championships) but I felt like I knew him from his contributions to this forum and of course his work for the ECF. As Controller of the County Championships I dealt with him on a few matters and I can honestly say that there was no more efficient individual within English chess; it is such a shame he never got to enjoy his retirement.

The loss to the English chess scene is incalculable, particularly coming so soon after the death of Richard Haddrell.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote: The loss to the English chess scene is incalculable, particularly coming so soon after the death of Richard Haddrell.
And almost spookily, it was JP who broke that news here.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:08 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Andrew Zigmond wrote: The loss to the English chess scene is incalculable, particularly coming so soon after the death of Richard Haddrell.
And almost spookily, it was JP who broke that news here.
I first met both of them on the evening that I was appointed SCCU Deputy President in 1992.

John in particular had been a close friend of mine ever since.

Further words fail me.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:59 am

Read the news on the train on the way back from yesterday's ECF AGM. I was sitting behind very loud and singing Aston Villa supporters - at least they were wearing claret and blue, the same colours as John's team, West Ham.

I knew John a little from county chess and ECF meetings and discussions and shall remember him as generous, hard-working, courteous, friendly, articulate and scarily accurate.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:10 am

I'm forever blowing bubbles,
Pretty bubbles in the air,
They fly so high, nearly reach the sky,
Then like my dreams they fade and die.
Fortune's always hiding,
I've looked everywhere,
I'm forever blowing bubbles,
Pretty bubbles in the air.

Julie Denning

Post by Julie Denning » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:45 am

Heard the news while travelling home from the AGM where we had remembered Richard Haddrell. Puts all other activities yesterday into perspective.

Two of English chess' greatest servants of recent times lost to us within a couple of weeks. Both had remained in harness till the very end. They had had a long friendship. As with Richard, John had also served us well in the SCCU, having done stints as Minutes Secretary and President, and continued to attend meetings occasionally as an Essex representative. However, it will be his tremendous service to the ECF for which he will always be remembered. This encompassed both shear hard work and authoritative, impartial advice - something that was also obvious in his posts on this Forum.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:04 am

Incredibly sad news. And a great shock as well. Condolences to all who knew him.

There is a photo with the short ECF statement here:

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/rip-john-philpott/
ECF wrote:It is with great sadness that we have to pass on the news that John Philpott has died. John was a mainstay of the English Chess Federation for a very long time, and was a unique and irreplaceable friend to us all. We would like to express our heartfelt condolences to John’s family, friends and many, many colleagues, particularly everyone at Essex Chess

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:27 am

Very sad news - he was always really helpful to me. His illuminating and instructive comments on this forum must have helped many others as well.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:41 am

Very sad news, a great loss to English Chess and its federation.

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:53 am

Very sad news, a tremendous loss to family, friends and the whole chess community. John was an invaluable source of help and advice in my various roles, over the years, for the BCF & ECF.