Simon Bartlett

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Ronnie Burton

Simon Bartlett

Post by Ronnie Burton » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:11 pm

From Chess Devon Web Site.

It is with great sadness that we report the death of Simon Bartlett. Simon was known at club, county and congress chess and will be sorely missed.

Knew Simon for over 30 years and always enjoyed our games and having a few drinks afterwards. We both retired in 2016 and were looking forward to more chess events in retirement.

RIP Simon. We will miss you

IM Jack Rudd

Re: Simon Bartlett

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:41 pm

RIP to my former Tiverton team-mate.

Andrew Smith

Post by Andrew Smith » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:06 pm

What shock! I can't beleive it! A regular drinking partner every time I have been to the West Country for chess tournaments since the early 1980's. An educated man who could talk to anyone and everyone about anything. He was great company. Loved his chess, loved his beer and loved Indian curries...a man who will be sadly missed.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:17 am

http://www.cornwallchess.org.uk/non-htm ... rtlett.jpg

I think I had to face that shirt several times, most recently at Frome in 2015. In the interests of avoiding his Exchange Lopez, I successfully punted the Berlin. After the game he commented that White's pawn structure ideas in the Berlin were similar to those in the Exchange Lopez, namely to exploit the Kingside majority. In that context the otherwise mysterious sequence where White plays h3 and Black responds with .. h5 makes a little more sense.

Lee Bullock

Post by Lee Bullock » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:44 pm

Never knew him but shared a few jokes and smiles with him as we had the same tastes in shirts. One of the only players I have seen on the circuit to wear Hawaiian shirts like me. Rip Simon.
2013/2014 and 16/17 U140 Grand Prix Winner! ;)

2015 and 2016 Chess character of the year :)

Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:43 pm

The Simon Bartlett Memorial Congress takes place at the the Livermead House Hotel in Torquay over the weekend from Friday, 26 January 2018 to Sunday, 28 January 2018. Come and play, and in Simon’s memory bring along your loudest shirt, the one emitting the most decibels.

The shirt thing should be a bit of fun, but for some people it’s serious. Indeed, I hear confidence is sky high in several camps. Three people told me off-the-cuff they are ironed-on to collar the £20 prize and defeat, even a tie, is out of the question. There must be some pretty nasty shirts left over from the late-sixties, that or Lee Bullock has thrown open his wardrobe.

http://www.budechess.co.uk/simon-bartlett-memorial.php