John Newsome (died Sept 2016)

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Andrew Zigmond

John Newsome (died Sept 2016)

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:30 pm

I have just belatedly discovered that John Newsome, for many years the driving force behind Netherton Family Chess Club in West Yorkshire, died in September last year aged 74. His contribution to public life seems to have gone way beyond chess and a detailed obituary can be found here http://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/news/ ... -1-8143474 (another obituary in the Huddersfield Chronicle had more detail about his chess activities but was a little bit pop up heavy).

I couldn't claim to know John Newsome well although we met as opposing captains a few times and missed each other by one board at least once. I did play his younger son, Mike Newsome, Netherton's top board for many years. No other small chess club in Yorkshire had such an excellent track record in attracting and developing young players and this can be attributed to John Newsome's dedication as a teacher and a chess organiser. He was part of that legendary generation that gave so much to chess and who we are now struggling to replace.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own