Dave Rumens

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
David Mabbs

Re: Dave Rumens

Post by David Mabbs » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:27 pm

I'm following through on my enigmatic posts about East Ham Town Hall, where Dave and several hundred others slept on the floor. The giveaway clue was the date, which happened to be the night of Easter Sunday/Monday 1961. By the nature of this forum, most of us knew Dave Rumens in a chess environment where, among many other attributes, he was noted for his wide grin and his light-hearted and occasionally flippant manner. My purpose was to show that outside of chess Dave was a very rounded and knowledgeable person who often felt strongly about issues. I am pleased that several other contributors have posted illustrations. So it was that in 1961 he gave up on the chance to play in an Easter chess congress, in favour of joining the Peace March from Wethersfield to London. The moment, when the Wethersfield column merged at the foot of Whitehall with the column from Aldermaston, was enormously emotional. Young and naïve - maybe - but Dave was exercising the same sort of passion and commitment that he brought to chess ... and this was Dave Rumens.

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:32 pm

David Mabbs wrote:I'm following through on my enigmatic posts about East Ham Town Hall, where Dave and several hundred others slept on the floor. The giveaway clue was the date, which happened to be the night of Easter Sunday/Monday 1961. By the nature of this forum, most of us knew Dave Rumens in a chess environment where, among many other attributes, he was noted for his wide grin and his light-hearted and occasionally flippant manner. My purpose was to show that outside of chess Dave was a very rounded and knowledgeable person who often felt strongly about issues. I am pleased that several other contributors have posted illustrations. So it was that in 1961 he gave up on the chance to play in an Easter chess congress, in favour of joining the Peace March from Wethersfield to London. The moment, when the Wethersfield column merged at the foot of Whitehall with the column from Aldermaston, was enormously emotional. Young and naïve - maybe - but Dave was exercising the same sort of passion and commitment that he brought to chess ... and this was Dave Rumens.
Very interesting Posts. Evidently, that photograph had the wrong date, and should have shown 1959. Regarding that CND march to Whitehall, I was also on that march, coming in from Aldermaston, behind the Ebbw Vale banner, with Michael Foot.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:47 pm

Somebody adked earlier about a Wikipedia note on Dave.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Steps_to_Article
has the details of how one can be added.

Becky Rumens

Post by Becky Rumens » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:28 pm

Dear all,

What a wonderful batch of memories. If you are coming to his funeral, please do step up and recount some of them at the ‘open mic’ memories section. All will be greatly appreciated by his daughters and wider family, the hilarious ones in particular.

Regarding that trench coat, it also featured in his one and only chat up line, possibly tried on several, but succumbed to by only one, my mum – he told her it had been worn by his grandfather in the first world war (utter nonsense, of course).

My mum, Carol Rumens, who has been responsible for the Guardian’s ‘poem of the week’ slot for over ten years now has written this for dad:

The End of Playtime
by Carol Rumens

The childishness of adulthood appals
at times: at others, seems its saving grace.
We often love the person best who calls
the childish, honest, laughing part of us
to life again. We cherished that in you.
You kept our childhoods safe. And now they’re crying
in disbelief, that Dave could ever do
a harsh, relentless, adult thing like dying.

(Just thought I'd lighten the mood.)

I am loving reading and laughing at your messages. It is incredibly heart-warming, The funeral details are on Stewart’s obit. Look forward to meeting those of you who are able to make it.

Becky

James Plaskett

Post by James Plaskett » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:57 pm

Sorry to hear this.

I only saw Dave with Carol the once; in 1979 at Charing Cross.

Bumped into him twice as he came up the stairs at King´s Cross. And he expressed great surprise, saying that the second occasion was actually the only time he had even been to that station since!

Also met him once in Swiss Cottage as my wife and I exited a poets´ lunch.

For I also married a poet..
Last edited by James Plaskett on Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SueHale

Post by SueHale » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Belatedly, I would like to express condolences on behalf of myself and my children to Dave's daughters and family and apologies for being unable to attend the funeral. Despite having been a reader of English Chess Forum for many years I have always resisted the temptation to register and hence have never been able to post anything - giving me the status of 'serial lurker.' However I was shocked and immensely sad to hear of his untimely death, particularly as I had been working in London in recent months and had intended to look him up, so was moved to register in order to post my own memories of him on the forum.
Perversely - and I recount this experience in the certain knowledge that Dave would have been amused by it - I received an email to inform me ' your
account is currently inactive and will need to be approved before an administrator before you can log in . Another email will be sent when this has occurred.' However despite my following the forum and the growing tributes and checking my emails religiously I never did get the email. Seeing a post from Carl to the effect that there was a delay because he was away I kept hoping that he would be back soon but hearing nothing I eventually emailed him only to be told 'it was probably impossible to confirm who I was.........!.'
So I repeat here what I posted on my FB page and apologise for the delay.....

Very sad to hear of the death of Dave Rumens - sadly I had lost touch with him recently but am very grateful for the time and effort he spent coaching and encouraging me and all my children at our house in Essex and at chess venues all over the country. He was responsible not only for much of their early success and the media interest but also for enabling me to qualify as an arbiter as he volunteered to coach them and mind them at a chess venue where I had been offered a last minute opportunity to do my arbiter training course and examination. I cannot begin to number the children, particularly in the north London area who were introduced to chess openings, strategy and tactics by him and I consider myself and my children fortunate to have learnt so much from him. A real character, I am sure he is in a better place demonstrating the finer points of the Scotch and the Traxler.... Check mate - you will be missed!

SueHale

Post by SueHale » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:21 pm

As my daughter Katie said - 'sad to hear - only good memories ' - more reminiscences to follow.....

SueHale

Post by SueHale » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:32 pm

Rebecca - I was pleased to read the poem - he would have enjoyed that!

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:37 am

British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:38 pm

link not working for me

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:14 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:38 pm
link not working for me
Nick,

There was a temporary server outage from which it has recovered. Thanks for the alert (which also gets sent to me via SMS and email).

I hope you enjoy the article.

J.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:32 pm

The annnotation of the Whiteley game is a bit confusing (it might more usefully say that Rumens repeated moves before playing the winning line, and then give the variations)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:34 pm

I'm also thinking somebody should probably be able to identify the venue of the "unknown event".
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Alan Ruffle

Post by Alan Ruffle » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:45 pm

A Sad Loss
Alan Ruffle

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:42 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:34 pm
I'm also thinking somebody should probably be able to identify the venue of the "unknown event".
Yes, that would be appreciated.