Dave Rumens

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Chris Rice

Re: Dave Rumens

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:46 am

Murray Chandler has been clearing out the loft and found an original scoresheet of the game Max Fuller vs Dave Rumens from Round 5 of the 1975 Barnstaple Open. When I was a kid these guys were like Gods to me. Cutty Sark provided a special prize of half a gallon of Scotch whisky in the prize fund.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:00 pm

Chris Rice > Cutty Sark provided a special prize of half a gallon of Scotch whisky in the prize fund.>

Of course Cutty Sark also sponsored the GP from 1973. I didn't know about this particular convoluted prize.
Leonard Barden wanted there to be Cutty Sark Grand Prix junior prizes. But I vetoed that. It would not have been appropriate for whisky.

We deliberately never had a tobacco company.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:23 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:00 pm
Chris Rice > Cutty Sark provided a special prize of half a gallon of Scotch whisky in the prize fund.>

Of course Cutty Sark also sponsored the GP from 1973. I didn't know about this particular convoluted prize.
Leonard Barden wanted there to be Cutty Sark Grand Prix junior prizes. But I vetoed that. It would not have been appropriate for whisky.

We deliberately never had a tobacco company.
Benedictine also were sponsors bearing alcoholic gifts
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:35 pm

Returning to the thread: Dave Rumens very much benefitted from the GP. He was able to live off the prize money from tournaments all over Britain anD also the GP a couple of times. That had the knock-on effect of aspiring players being able to play against strong opposition.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:29 pm

I think that might have been the Barnstaple Open in which the organisers made a big play of encouraging the sponsor by advertising Cutty Sark Whisky in all Bars. I think that message was in the programme.

Unfortunately the PR department's message to the delivery team somehow didn't arrive or got ignored, with the result that Bells Whisky did a roaring trade and Barnstaple never plugged Cutty Sark again.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:15 pm

From the October 1975 Southampton tournament, again courtesy of Murray Chandler. Dave beat Murray and Julian Hodgson in the same tournament and still didn't manage to win it! These weekenders were something else back in the day.

Dave Rumens - Murray Chandler

Results:

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:13 am

John Saunders got it right in his review of Murray's career, but the supposed LARA result in "Chess" is actually the 1974 one.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:22 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:13 am
John Saunders got it right in his review of Murray's career, but the supposed LARA result in "Chess" is actually the 1974 one.
HAH! So that's what happened about that report. One of only two occasions where I might have hoped to see my name in Chess, and they managed to goof it up. (For the record, there had to be two major sections at the 1975 LARA congress, because of the sheer number of entries. Even so, there weren't enough rounds to yield a completely satisfactory result in my one, which Clive Frostick took with 6/6. I was half a point behind with two others, having involuntarily played the "Swiss Gambit" in round one. A clear winner, yes, but somehow it never seems quite right when he/she hasn't played any of those finishing immediately below them.)
Last edited by John Clarke on Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:31 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:15 pm
From the October 1975 Southampton tournament, again courtesy of Murray Chandler. Dave beat Murray and Julian Hodgson in the same tournament and still didn't manage to win it! These weekenders were something else back in the day.

That might be the most ambiguous recording of a 1-0 result I've ever seen - without the game score I'd have no idea whether White or Black had won. It reminds me of the glasses in Battleship Potemkin.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com