Simon Woodcock

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Michael Farthing

Simon Woodcock

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:22 am

I have just heard from Bill O'Rourke that Simon was rushed to hospital this weekend with an acute infection and passed away yesterday afternoon. He leaves a wife Sandra and children. A big figure in Lancashire chess and the mastermind behind the Blackpool congress his role will be difficult to fill - many hundreds, probably thousands, of players have been given memorable games as a result of his dedication over many years. I have no other details at present but maybe others will be able to add more.

Matt Mackenzie

Re: Simon Woodcock

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:39 am

Oh no :cry:

Of course he was very active on the playing side as well - I had a few keen struggles with him over the years.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:44 pm

I have been passed an email from Tom Vout that says that Simon had been ill with cancer recently and receiving treatment

I remember Simon controlling the Major one year at the Bury Rapidplay at the Town Hall (he asked to do so as he needed it for the BCF/ECF as a norm I think), must have been at least a decade ago now, and having to test his blood sugar levels between rounds as he was diabetic; it can't have been easy to cope with this given his job as a policeman

He played his chess games fast; I remember losing to him both at evening longplay and weekend blitz due to being unable to complete enough (good) moves

He played for Atherton mostly in the Manchester League; also Great Lever and Heywood

Nice guy
Any postings on here represent my personal views

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:45 pm

He certainly mauled me in the Manchester league just before the new year!

Didn't know him much at all but he did seem nice. Sad.

I hope Blackpool will manage to continue unhindered.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:29 pm

Had a lot of respect for Simon, I played him numerous times, first time 25 years ago; always spoke his mind and you have to admire; RIP

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:37 pm

Had a lot of respect for Simon as well, he always spoke his mind and while our views were different, he still talk to me at the meetings and at chess matches

Also good to see the Manchester league putting something on there website
http://www.manchesterchess.co.uk/apps/b ... -1963-2017

and the Warrington league

http://www.wdcl.co.uk/

WDCL League President - Simon Woodcock

​It is with great sadness that we announce that our League President, Simon Woodcock, passed away on Monday 17th July 2017.
Our condolences go to his wife Sandra and to all the family. He will be sadly missed by many Chess players far and wide.

but nothing on the Lancashire page

http://www.lancashirechess.uk/index.php
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:46 pm

RIP. Yes, a good chess player and a decent bloke. Nothing more needs saying. We played just once. So I have something of him to remember

Matthew Webb

Post by Matthew Webb » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:45 pm

So very sad to hear Simon has passed away. It was always a pleasure speaking with him at a number of different events over the years, the first time I met him was at the British Rapidplay in Halifax, I am fairly certain he completely crushed me, that was the only game we played but we spoke many times at events after that.

He has done such a wonderful job with the Blackpool Congress.

I will miss him.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:56 pm

ECF

Simon’s funeral is on Monday July 31st at Howe Bridge Crematorium, Wigan at 11.30am

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:59 pm

John Reyes wrote:but nothing on the Lancashire page

http://www.lancashirechess.uk/index.php
There is now; same detail as the ECF

Samir Samadov

Post by Samir Samadov » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:00 am

Mr.Simon Woodcock is the reason that I am so successful in chess now. Not only is he the one who gave me the opportunity to start at Atherton Chess Club, but also he gave me coaching lessons and helped me out through my tough personal times. As well as that I won’t forget the memories of us together when I won my first couple of tournaments, such as the junior chess tournament in Blackpool, he was so happy for me and that’s when I started my journey to become a great chess player and even recently beating a GM and also representing the English Junior Chess Team. All the memories and most importantly Mr.Simons personality will not be forgotten by anyone and especially not me. It is a shame such a great individual has left, but one thing is certain and that is the imprint he left in my life and his amazing spirit.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:59 pm

Nice tribute, Samir.