Peter Poobalasingam

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Peter Poobalasingam

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:20 pm

Very shocked by this terrible news. Peter played for a number of teams (Barbican 4NCL and Hendon Chess Club have already been mentioned). He played for various Richmond & Twickenham Chess Club teams over the years (his father Bala also plays for us), and growing up he was a member of Richmond Junior Chess Club as well. In her tribute to him, Sarah mentions meeting him aged 8 at a Richmond Rapidplay, and that is probably where I first encountered him as well, though I didn't meet him again until he was older and after university when he started playing for R&TCC.

A link to a report on the World University Chess Championships in 2010 where he achieved an IM norm:

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wucc-ima ... in-dcosta/

Condolences to his friends and family.

teddyosbourn

Post by teddyosbourn » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:43 pm

:((

Such awful news..

Fortunate enough to talk with him a few times at work - I only ever heard nice things about him from other colleagues and immediately understood why upon meeting him - a kind, genuine, humble person clearly brimming with talent.

Truly heartfelt condolences to his family and friends; their pain and loss must be unimaginable.

RIP Peter :'( xx

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:16 pm

Sarah Longson wrote:I have put a tribute on the ECF website ...
From Sarah's tribute:

"One of the most memorable trips was when we went to Zurich for the World University Chess Championships in 2010. The trip consisted of Peter, Vedantha Kumar, Hannah Dale, Lorin D’Costa (coach) and myself. It was full of fun times, lots of laughing and lots of chess. It was here that Peter played some incredible chess and achieved a well deserved second IM norm."

Lest we forget, British Universities and Colleges Sport promptly decreed that a British or English chess team would not be permitted to participate in the event in future.

It would be a fitting memorial to Peter if the ECF were to succeed in a renewed campaign to have this absurd ban lifted.

(Apologies if there have been any recent developments of which I am not aware.)

SueHale

Post by SueHale » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:48 pm

Sincere condolences - Shocked and saddened to hear of Peter's sudden untimely death. Having first met him and his Dad at junior chess tournaments, notably those held by Barnet Knights in North London, Peter then started at Millfield Prep School in 2001 at the same time as my own four children, my son Michael being in his class. We all spent a great amount of time with Peter and his dad at chess competitions and matches in Somerset and trips all over the UK. Most of our memorable occasions, amazing chess memories and many exploits at Millfield involved Peter. Even when we moved away to Oakham I still followed his progress and in more recent years at 4NCL he always spoke to me and asked after everyone. My heart goes out to Bala and all his family and friends.

Martin Benjamin

Post by Martin Benjamin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:30 pm

This is terrible and tragic news. I echo what is written above and in tributes elsewhere. Peter was a kind, modest and talented young man, and will be greatly missed by his Richmond London League team colleagues.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:07 am

I have seen it claimed the cause of his demise was a road accident - is this correct?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:14 am

Matt Mackenzie wrote:I have seen it claimed the cause of his demise was a road accident - is this correct?
I've been told that as well. Not appropriate to go into any detail, but I was told he was a pedestrian (as opposed to a driver or passenger). It was doubly shocking for me, as someone else I know died in similar circumstances two days earlier. :(

Sarah Longson

Post by Sarah Longson » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:45 am

I think we should not discuss what happened on here- we should just reflect on what a nice, talented person Peter was and celebrate his life. David that sounds like a great idea :-) !

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:27 pm

I was really shocked to learn of the untimely death of Peter. Thank you, Sarah, fo your obituary

Neville Belinfante

Post by Neville Belinfante » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:43 am

I was shocked when I read the tragic news. For someone so talented, Peter was the most modest and unassuming person I have ever had the pleasure to meet.

I met him as a junior, as he started playing on the junior circuit about the same time as I started controlling on it. He was everywhere, with his father Bala, supporting him in the background.

The last time I met him was at the 4NCL congress at HIBA in January last year. He just missed out on the prize fund, but was not at all upset about it. He told me that his father was at home, keeping an eye on his results over the internet.

My thoughts are with his father Bala, and other relatives

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:33 am

"In loving memory of Peter Poobalasingam
Please join us in celebrating Peter's life:
Wednesday 13th September 2017
Viewing at home: 11 am to 1 pm at 58, Manor View, London, N3 2SR
Service at Chapel: 1.30pm to 2.45pm, 122 East End Road, London, N2 0RZ
Our last respects: 3pm
Please join us at our home from 3.30pm"

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:22 pm

A link to an obituary on a Tamil (Sri Lanka) community news website/noticeboard:

http://www.kallarai.com/ta/obituary-20170911216369.html

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:50 am

Many thanks to everyone who attended yesterday. It was obviously a very difficult occasion for all of us, but there were some great reminiscences and anecdotes and hopefully the attendance from all corners of the chess community will show Pamela and Bala just how much Peter meant to us all.