Robert Everson.

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Ronnie Burton

Robert Everson.

Post by Ronnie Burton » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:56 pm

From Keverel Chess Site

Robert Everson RIP.

Since receiving a couple of e-mails regarding Bob Everson, I’ve take the liberty of melding them together, adding some of my own material.

Robert Everson had been a regular attendee at the Royal Beacon Seniors Congress in Exmouth, and Paignton, for a number of years, one of a group of other Kent players; among them Mike Wiltshire, Alan Sherriff and Ian McAllan.

He attended the Paignton Congress in September 2016, and towards the end of one round, I was walking past and noticed Bob with a few friends at the board, demonstrating how he had just lost his game because he missed/forgot a move that he had already noticed during his analysis. I heard him say “I can’t understand it – how could I do that?!” – an innocent remark that I couldn’t forget, as I knew another player, Simon Bartlett, was similarly ill.

On return home he took medical advice, and it was found he had an incurable brain tumour. Bartlett had been told his particular tumour was associated with workers in the chemical industry, and I gather Bob had had a similar career.

Bob had been the Dartford first team captain since September 1974, probably the longest period for any Kent club captain. Bob joined the Dartford club shortly after leaving school and enjoyed many successful and happy years playing chess and mixing with his fellow players. In particular he much enjoyed the Exmouth, Paignton and Thanet tournaments in which he competed for many years.

Bob died peacefully at home at 11.30 pm. on Tuesday 13th February. He suffered no pain.

A Humanist funeral will take place at Eltham Crematorium on Friday March 16th at 10.15am.
He was a gentleman and a great guy always prepared to offer advice. He will be much missed by his family and all chess associates.

Rather than flowers Bob opted for a donation to the Ellener Foundation.

Nick Burrows

Re: Robert Everson.

Post by Nick Burrows » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:36 pm

I played him at Paignton in 2016 in the final round on the top board. He was an exceptionally friendly guy with a twinkle in his eye. I'm very sad to hear this news. Rest in peace.

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:36 am

Bob playing at Broadstairs in August, 2016

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:51 am

Sad news, but I am relieved to learn that his end was peaceful.

In addition to his activities mentioned above, Bob was a stalwart of the Kent U175/U180 teams. I played him several times in county matches, with honours about even,

RIP

Andy Heard

Post by Andy Heard » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:14 am

Really sorry to hear of Bob's passing; he was a good guy. I played him several times in various Kentish tournaments in the early noughties, with even results overall, but my sense is that he won the matches that mattered. And we were team-mates in the Kent county team for many years.

Good to see that he kept playing as long as possible, and his illness didn't seem to impact his playing performance.

Andy

gphillman

Post by gphillman » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:07 pm

Bob , was a lovely guy , a real Gentlemen . I first came across him when I left school in 1974 and started to play Chess at Dartford Chess Club where Bob was already establishing himself as a strong player . He was consistently strong for over 40 years and I am sure he would have carried on at the 160- 170 or higher levels for years to come . He was always generous and engaging after games and was very good company for a Pint after the matches in the Rose and Crown Dartford in later years. Whilst he wasnt always top board for Dartford he was always up there in the top3 and regularly took on and beat seriously good opposition in the Kent leagues . His presence will be sorely missed . I for one respected and thought this was a great guy and super player . Graham Hillman