Colin Roberts

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
LawrenceCooper

Colin Roberts

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:54 am

Colin Roberts, aged 55, from Shropshire.

Steve Rooney

Re: Colin Roberts

Post by Steve Rooney » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:34 pm

Shocked and desperately saddened at the loss of Colin who has been a stalwart of Shropshire chess since starting as a junior. He always displayed a great sense of humour and a formidable opponent across the chess board. I recall many games with Colin, none of them dull, and all to often he would lull me into a false sense of calm and then pounce from nowhere. A great proponent of an attacking style and a never-give-up mentality, constantly looking to wring something out of a position and even more dangerous in a time scramble.

Colin was a former county secretary and league controller for Shropshire and was also one of the organisers of Wrekin Chess Congress for a number of years.

Taken from us at far too young an age, Colin was a charming, funny man who was always great company - he will be sorely missed by all his chess colleagues from Shropshire and beyond.

Colin's club captain and friend Toby Neal has penned a nice tribute in his weekly Shropshire Star column -http://www.shropshirechess.org/Miscella ... e_star.htm

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:22 pm

He always just smiled when me and Ralph took too long having a beer before a county match at the church! Sad news indeed
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Trevor Brotherton

Post by Trevor Brotherton » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:15 am

So long Colin I will miss you.
A talented tactician playing his favourite English,Grunfeld and French McCutcheon.
Win or lose never a dull game,always a handful,always with a smile.
More than 30 years of chessboard battles.

Thanks