FM Philip Short

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
John McMorrow

FM Philip Short

Post by John McMorrow » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:04 pm

From the Irish Chess Union:

“It is with great sadness that the ICU learns of the passing of FM Philip Short.

Originally from Cork, Philip Short won the first of his many Irish Chess Championships in 1981 (shared with David Dunne) and was a regular participant in many Irish events since, winning his last Irish in 2017. Well known for his friendly banter with all, as well as his terrific Chess strength, Philip was popular with all in the Irish Chess community for over four decades.

Our condolences to his wife Claudia and his two daughters Jennifer and Rebecca, please know that he will be truly missed in the Irish Chess community.”

Alan Walton

Re: FM Philip Short

Post by Alan Walton » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:25 pm

In the few years having playing in Ireland you can never come across a nicer man; sorry for your country’s loss

Gordon Cadden

Post by Gordon Cadden » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:12 pm

A sad loss to Irish Chess. Very well known at weekend Tournaments, with a friendly word for everyone. Had many an encounter with him, across the board. He was a Cork man, but moved to Galway in recent years. R.I.P.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:17 pm

Any postings on here represent my personal views

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:15 am

I first met Philip 40 years ago when he was 18 and I was 13.
As an 18 year old teenager Philip was rated over 2300 in the Irish chess union rating list and he maintained that rating unbelievably for the whole of his 40+ year chess career. Indeed at the time of his death his ICU rating was 2335 and he was improving!
I have maybe played 12 games against Philip over the years and my score is 0.5 / 12!

I would say he was the greatest endgame player that I ever played or came across.

He loved playing chess and would play anyone no matter how low rated they were. A real gent over the board. I have many great memories of Philip and the way he used to joke about the chess pieces...ah sure...put the horse (knight) up here...put the the castle on the open file...ah might as well push the pawn...that's what they were made for...that looks like a good square for the bishop....(analysing after he played Bh6 in his decisive win in the 1986 Irish Ch against John Delaney)

And he never cared to adopt FIDE's algebraic notation he always recorded in English descriptive 1.P-K4 P-K5 etc and as he hardly ever played outside Ireland no Irish organiser was ever going to challenge him on that matter.

RIP Philip - a giant of Irish chess.
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.