World Senior Team Championships, Dresden 2018

Information and discussion on all matters relating to Seniors Chess.
NickFaulks

Re: World Senior Team Championships, Dresden 2018

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:03 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:41 pm
It’s from C - 1 of the handbook, I assume. However what status this actually has, even as an official recommendation, must be unclear, seeing as it obviously dates from another era.
Furthermore, these guidelines apply only to top-level tournaments. Then you go down to

"7.1 A top-level tournament is defined as any event in the FIDE individual world championship cycle or a private tournament of at least category 10".
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:01 pm

By 2016 F Olafsson was actually in his 80s rather than 70s!
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:38 am

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:01 pm
By 2016 F Olafsson was actually in his 80s rather than 70s!
Indeed he was; my memory failed me there.

Now the following is for the benefit of Forumites who are actually going to Radebeul. A couple of days ago team captains received an information email which said the start time of round 1 would be 4pm (originally announced as 2pm).
I queried this and have received the following prompt reply:

<quote="Karsten Wieland on behalf of the organising committee">

You are right there is an improvement in the time schedule on day 1.

We are the victim of our own success. 130 teams is much more then we expected, so we have to play in two playing halls. We would like to give every player the opportunity to take part in the opening ceremony. For this the playing hall has a different set up. After the opening ceremony is finished we have to place the tables correctly regarding Fide regulations. This takes a little time. That´s why we decided to start round 1 at 16:00.With this little change we think we serve the demands of our players to start in time.
</quote>
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:14 am

I am due to arrive at Dresden airport via Frankfurt on Saturday 7th July circa 1pm. I was wondering if any others were arriving at a similar time that we might share a taxi. I realise it's a long shot as the organisers have changed the start time for round 1 very late in the day and most of you are probably arriving the day before.
Regards
Martin
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:11 am

Tim Harding wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:38 am
You are right there is an improvement in the time schedule on day 1.
This is reminiscent of the 2008 Olympiad, where we were informed that the dates had been improved from September to November. I trust this improvement will turn out better than that one did.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:17 am

Nick >the 2008 Olympiad, where we were informed that the dates had been improved from September to November. <
And it is the same organiser.

Martin Crichton >I am due to arrive at Dresden airport via Frankfurt on Saturday 7th July circa 1pm. I was wondering if any others were arriving at a similar time that we might share a taxi. <

None of the 41 ECF players is arriving so late. Martin, I presume you are playing for one of the other federations as you are not on my list. I was unable to access the FIDE Rating List.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:29 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:17 am
Martin, I presume you are playing for one of the other federations as you are not on my list. I was unable to access the FIDE Rating List.
Stewart. Martin Crichton is Irish.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:45 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:17 am
Nick >the 2008 Olympiad, where we were informed that the dates had been improved from September to November. <
And it is the same organiser.

Martin Crichton >I am due to arrive at Dresden airport via Frankfurt on Saturday 7th July circa 1pm. I was wondering if any others were arriving at a similar time that we might share a taxi. <

None of the 41 ECF players is arriving so late. Martin, I presume you are playing for one of the other federations as you are not on my list. I was unable to access the FIDE Rating List.
https://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=2500973

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:57 pm

Hi Stewart,
How long have we both been playing for Cavendish? I think I was there from 1995 to 2006 and was secretary from 2002 to 2005 and rejoined again at the end of the 2016 season... I think from memory I played 3 games for Bertie's third team on board 1 and you played on board 2 ;) I thought you might know my accent by now :)
See you in Dresden!
Regards
Martin.
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:34 pm

Dear Martin,
Just put it down to my having a senior moment. Cavendish are represented at the WSTCC by at least 4 players from 3 different federations. I did think, earlier this century, of our challenging the Rest of England Seniors to a match.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:01 pm

The team registration lists have just been updated at
http://www.schachfestival.de/world-team ... tions.html
It appears that both St Petersburg and Armenia have withdrawn from the 50+ tournament, and England I are now fourth seeds out of 67. (Yemen also withdrew a couple of weeks ago.)

The July FIDE ratings appear to have been applied to the lists which affects other seedings, in the 65+ at least.
Tim Harding

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:10 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:01 pm
It appears that both St Petersburg and Armenia have withdrawn from the 50+ tournament
That's a shame. Money, presumably.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:24 pm

Eng 1 50+ now have a better chance of achieving a place medal than before. But a worse chance of achieving a best improvement in rank medal among the British Isles Teams in both sections. I have introduced that for the first time this year, as it is the first time all 4 home countries have been represented. Roll on Guernsey and Jersey also fielding teams in the future.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:02 am

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:52 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:02 am
England 2 v England 1 in the 50+: http://www.schachfestival.de/world-team ... games.html
Speelman seemed in trouble at one point but drew so it turned out well for England I eventually (3-1).

Keith won a typical Keith ending: rook and 4 versus rook and 3 on the same side.

The big match-ups are still a couple of rounds away but there is some fierce competition ahead for the women's medals.

Unfortunately England Women lost 1-3 but Sheila Jackson won on top board; still a class act.

Russia Women were held to a draw and tomorrow will play Ireland who also have 3MP after performing well; two of our players have 2/2.

The top two German women's teams play each other tomorrow (they have a third team also).

The Mongolia team in the 65+ is also all-female.
Tim Harding