FIDE Seniors events in 2024

Information and discussion on all matters relating to Seniors Chess.
Tim Harding

FIDE Seniors events in 2024

Post by Tim Harding » Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:40 pm

We now have proposed venues and dates for all four FIDE senior events in 2024 although the World ones are provisional as yet. The venues seem, at first sight anyway, promising and more accessible than some of this years.

I have updated my pages at
http://www.chessmail.com/seniors/Seniors-calendar.html
and
http://www.chessmail.com/seniors/Seniors-news.html
(There are also some German events added for late 2023 and 2024.)

It's too early to make definite plans on the basis of FIDE Council decisions on the World awards since we saw what happened with Buenos Aires which turned out not to be the 2023 venue after all.
But if we go by the proposed dates in the bid documents available on the Events Commission website, we will get (in date order):

European Teams: 15-25 April at Terme Catez, Slovenia. (I note that the German senior calendar has still not picked up on the change of dates.) Simplest would be to fly to Ljubljana or if that option is unavailable, it is only about 100km drive from Trieste. The venue is close to the Croatian border but I am not sure how to get there from Zagreb.

World Teams: Galaxy Hotel, Krakow, Poland, "subject to the successful inspection" 1-12 July. Krakow has an airport used by Ryanair so that one is easy to get to.

World Individuals: "Constanta (Mamaia), Romania, subject to the successful inspection." The dates proposed by the organisers are from 5-15 September. Those dates suggest this would be only a 9-round tournament instead of the usual 11. The new regulations provide that it may only be 9 rounds though this year it will be 11.

European Individual Seniors: 18-29 October at Lignano Sabbiadoro, north-east Italy, which is also not far from Trieste but closer to Veniuce, I think. I don't know which Italian organiser this will be.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Kevin Thurlow

Re: FIDE Seniors events in 2024

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:41 pm

From the 2023 thread,

"Yes, beautiful, walkable old town, Wawel castle, gardens, location of Schindler’s list, wieliczka salt mine, and Auschwitz is only about an hour or so away by bus although i’’m not sure if I’d recommend going to Auschwitz on the same visit to Krakow as playing in a chess tournament - the chess tournament might or might not seem very unimportant after a trip to Auschwitz depending on your views / background."

And there was an aviation museum...

I did the Auschwitz trip the day after the tournament ended, probably better that way round. It puts your own problems into perspective.

The venue for that event was some sort of college. Galaxy Hotel sounds familiar though. Krakow was a great place.