This year’s Euro and World Senior Individual Championships
-
Keith Arkell
- Posts: 1096
- Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:10 am
This year’s Euro and World Senior Individual Championships
Hi all,
Twelve years ago I came onto this forum and, with some hesitation, asked for help to fund my participation in the European Senior Championship. The response I received was extraordinary - so many of you stepped forward with generosity and goodwill, and it genuinely meant a great deal to me. I carried that support with me all the way through the event, and was fortunate enough to win the title.
Now, I find myself at the start of a new chapter. This year I’ll be making my debut in the “Senior Senior” sections of both the European and World Championships, with the European event in Italy fast approaching.
The costs, however, are considerable, and so - just this once - I’ve decided to make an appeal via GoFundMe. It’s not something I do lightly, but I would be deeply grateful for any support from those who feel able to help.
If you’d like to be part of the journey once again, here is the link:
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/keith-arkell
My email is [email protected]
Twelve years ago I came onto this forum and, with some hesitation, asked for help to fund my participation in the European Senior Championship. The response I received was extraordinary - so many of you stepped forward with generosity and goodwill, and it genuinely meant a great deal to me. I carried that support with me all the way through the event, and was fortunate enough to win the title.
Now, I find myself at the start of a new chapter. This year I’ll be making my debut in the “Senior Senior” sections of both the European and World Championships, with the European event in Italy fast approaching.
The costs, however, are considerable, and so - just this once - I’ve decided to make an appeal via GoFundMe. It’s not something I do lightly, but I would be deeply grateful for any support from those who feel able to help.
If you’d like to be part of the journey once again, here is the link:
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/keith-arkell
My email is [email protected]
Last edited by Keith Arkell on Mon Jul 20, 2026 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
-
Keith Arkell
- Posts: 1096
- Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:10 am
Re: This year’s Euro and World Senior Individual Championships
Hi all, thanks for keeping this thread free. I'm very happy to report that so far 30 of you have contributed to my GoFundMe, bringing the total to £1299. My target is £3400, so please share wherever you can. https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/keith-arkell
Of course, were the people who seem now to be in charge of ECF selections - which seem to be based on favouritism rather than merit - able to make fair decisions, then I would have been asked to represent England in the 65+ or the 50+ Euro Team Championships this year, but, as could have been predicted, without me neither team managed to even get a medal.
Moving on, and sadly once again favouritism seems to have ruled the roost: Alex Holowczak delegated to Loz Cooper to designate where funds went to to support top players at the British Championships. Loz replied: 'It would enhance the seniors' event to have someone with your
title and track record in such events playing in it'.
And Simon Brown, of Friends of Chess, wrote 'Keith’s achievements in senior chess should be supported in my opinion'.
But Holowczak overruled Loz ( and Simon by implication) and turned me down. Was this his decision, or did it come from above?
Simon wote: ''As an aside, I’ve seen the budget for the British. The DCMS cash is meant to go in support of our top players, and whilst I can understand them wanting the main British to be as well-supported as possible, it isn’t a condition that support only goes to those playing in it.'''
So I think you get what is going on. But in case you don't:
Danny Gormally is playing in the upcoming European Senior Championship, starting on 1 June. He will receive ECF funding to cover his not insubstantial costs. I will receive nothing. I am rated 31 FIDE points above Danny, and 38 ECF points. This will not be the first time this has happened.
Corruption? Favouritism? You decide. (I should make clear I have nothing against Danny. I would also accept the offer in his position).
Those who have the September 2008 issue of 'CHESS' may wish to take a look at its editorial: You will learn which kids did well, which women did well, who got IM norms, ete etc, but you will not learn who finished 1st equal in the tournament with Stuart Conquest.
Yes, this has been going on for quite a while.
Do we back someone for FIDE presidency who, with some limits on their power, are already making these kinds of - in my opinion - decisions based on favouritism?
Of course, were the people who seem now to be in charge of ECF selections - which seem to be based on favouritism rather than merit - able to make fair decisions, then I would have been asked to represent England in the 65+ or the 50+ Euro Team Championships this year, but, as could have been predicted, without me neither team managed to even get a medal.
Moving on, and sadly once again favouritism seems to have ruled the roost: Alex Holowczak delegated to Loz Cooper to designate where funds went to to support top players at the British Championships. Loz replied: 'It would enhance the seniors' event to have someone with your
title and track record in such events playing in it'.
And Simon Brown, of Friends of Chess, wrote 'Keith’s achievements in senior chess should be supported in my opinion'.
But Holowczak overruled Loz ( and Simon by implication) and turned me down. Was this his decision, or did it come from above?
Simon wote: ''As an aside, I’ve seen the budget for the British. The DCMS cash is meant to go in support of our top players, and whilst I can understand them wanting the main British to be as well-supported as possible, it isn’t a condition that support only goes to those playing in it.'''
So I think you get what is going on. But in case you don't:
Danny Gormally is playing in the upcoming European Senior Championship, starting on 1 June. He will receive ECF funding to cover his not insubstantial costs. I will receive nothing. I am rated 31 FIDE points above Danny, and 38 ECF points. This will not be the first time this has happened.
Corruption? Favouritism? You decide. (I should make clear I have nothing against Danny. I would also accept the offer in his position).
Those who have the September 2008 issue of 'CHESS' may wish to take a look at its editorial: You will learn which kids did well, which women did well, who got IM norms, ete etc, but you will not learn who finished 1st equal in the tournament with Stuart Conquest.
Yes, this has been going on for quite a while.
Do we back someone for FIDE presidency who, with some limits on their power, are already making these kinds of - in my opinion - decisions based on favouritism?
Last edited by Keith Arkell on Fri May 22, 2026 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
Alex Holowczak
- Posts: 9326
- Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
- Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
- Contact:
Re: This year’s Euro and World Senior Individual Championships
1. Loz is sorting administrative issues regarding the conditions arrangement rather than policy decisions. His reply to you was a polite and courteous one, and it did not confer a decision being made.
2. My decision to spend the conditions budget solely on players playing in the Championship has been applied equally and fairly to all players - one other request for conditions from a senior player was given the same response as the one you were given. No corruption, no favouritism - the same rule applied to everyone. If you wanted to play in the main Championship, you too would have had an offer.
3. I have not spoken to Malcolm on the topic of conditions for the British Championship.
4. We increased the total prize fund for the Senior Championships from £1,850 in 2025 to £3,000 in 2026. We have been able to increase prize funds due to having the DCMS money, so the top Seniors players are deriving benefit from it, even if that benefit isn't manifested in the form of a conditions offer to you.
2. My decision to spend the conditions budget solely on players playing in the Championship has been applied equally and fairly to all players - one other request for conditions from a senior player was given the same response as the one you were given. No corruption, no favouritism - the same rule applied to everyone. If you wanted to play in the main Championship, you too would have had an offer.
3. I have not spoken to Malcolm on the topic of conditions for the British Championship.
4. We increased the total prize fund for the Senior Championships from £1,850 in 2025 to £3,000 in 2026. We have been able to increase prize funds due to having the DCMS money, so the top Seniors players are deriving benefit from it, even if that benefit isn't manifested in the form of a conditions offer to you.
-
Ian Thompson
- Posts: 4284
- Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 pm
- Location: Awbridge, Hampshire
Re: This year’s Euro and World Senior Individual Championships
Not enough funding, it would appear, because he's now asking for donations as well - https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding ... gormally-1Keith Arkell wrote: ↑Wed May 13, 2026 12:04 amDanny Gormally is playing in the upcoming European Senior Championship, starting on 1 June. He will receive ECF funding to cover his not insubstantial costs.
-
Keith Arkell
- Posts: 1096
- Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:10 am
Re: This year’s Euro and World Senior Individual Championships
I believe that last year senior GMs were given a choice between accommodation for the British Senior Championship and accommodation for the English Senior Championship.
Is that again the case this year?
I am asking openly because I believe transparency remains a significant weakness in certain ECF decisions. This was highlighted during the well-known selection controversy of October 2024, when the International Director responded to my calls for openness with what I considered to be dishonest and defamatory comments on the ECF homepage.
Unfortunately nothing was properly resolved. I was excluded from the team, and subsequently every team for which I was eligible failed to win even a minor medal.
For me, the wider issue is straightforward:
selection processes should be transparent and based on merit;
funding decisions for senior events, both at home and abroad, should follow clear and objective criteria.
At present, I do not believe either of those standards is sufficiently in place.
Alex has tried to justify my rejection by citing an example of an anonymous player who also applied for conditions outside of the main British Championship. Is that player a GM? Can we see that player in the line up of players registered for events outside of the British Championship?
Treat Lawrence with respect, and if you delegate to him then abide by his decision.
Think about this from my point of view: Through no fault of my own I've been expunged from the senior team, despite being one of our most successful senior players, I've been rejected for conditions for the British Championships, despite the 2nd in command advocating that I should receive conditions, and, for example players at my level were offered conditions for Hastings but I was not ( this was nothing to do with Conquest, I should clarify - it was again an ECF decision).
All I ask for is transparency and fair play.
Is that again the case this year?
I am asking openly because I believe transparency remains a significant weakness in certain ECF decisions. This was highlighted during the well-known selection controversy of October 2024, when the International Director responded to my calls for openness with what I considered to be dishonest and defamatory comments on the ECF homepage.
Unfortunately nothing was properly resolved. I was excluded from the team, and subsequently every team for which I was eligible failed to win even a minor medal.
For me, the wider issue is straightforward:
selection processes should be transparent and based on merit;
funding decisions for senior events, both at home and abroad, should follow clear and objective criteria.
At present, I do not believe either of those standards is sufficiently in place.
Alex has tried to justify my rejection by citing an example of an anonymous player who also applied for conditions outside of the main British Championship. Is that player a GM? Can we see that player in the line up of players registered for events outside of the British Championship?
Treat Lawrence with respect, and if you delegate to him then abide by his decision.
Think about this from my point of view: Through no fault of my own I've been expunged from the senior team, despite being one of our most successful senior players, I've been rejected for conditions for the British Championships, despite the 2nd in command advocating that I should receive conditions, and, for example players at my level were offered conditions for Hastings but I was not ( this was nothing to do with Conquest, I should clarify - it was again an ECF decision).
All I ask for is transparency and fair play.
-
LawrenceCooper
- Posts: 8763
- Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am
Re: This year’s Euro and World Senior Individual Championships
My knowledge is limited to this year's British only.Keith Arkell wrote: ↑Thu May 21, 2026 11:12 pmI believe that last year senior GMs were given a choice between accommodation for the British Senior Championship and accommodation for the English Senior Championship.
Is that again the case this year?
Alex has tried to justify my rejection by citing an example of an anonymous player who also applied for conditions outside of the main British Championship. Is that player a GM? Can we see that player in the line up of players registered for events outside of the British Championship?
Treat Lawrence with respect, and if you delegate to him then abide by his decision.
The only conditions I have been authorised to offer are for the British Championship main event. No one has been offered the option of accommodation to play in another section. I am aware of the other player in question, not a GM, but a senior player. The decision making was consistent in both cases. They haven't entered so don't appear on the list of entries.
The decisions are made by the Events Director. This isn't me passing the buck but clarifying that although I can make recommendations or give an opinion the final decisions aren't mine to make.
I've posted without any prompting from anyone. I appreciate your kind words but I am also supportive of Alex who has a very difficult job and does it well.
-
Roger de Coverly
- Posts: 22665
- Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm
Re: This year’s Euro and World Senior Individual Championships
For the British Championships the ECF appear to have made a decision that it's only if titled players enter the Championship itself, that they will receive any incentives other than free entry to participate. Is this an ongoing policy decision or something made up every year?Keith Arkell wrote: ↑Thu May 21, 2026 11:12 pmI believe that last year senior GMs were given a choice between accommodation for the British Senior Championship and accommodation for the English Senior Championship.
Is that again the case this year?
With the English Seniors and English Championship now coinciding, the same issue applies there as well.
-
Keith Arkell
- Posts: 1096
- Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:10 am
Re: This year’s Euro and World Senior Individual Championships
And now my regular junior simul at the British has been cancelled.
So, in total, I’ve been kicked out of the senior teams, not been offered expenses for the Euro Senior Champs (or anything else),despite that lower rated GMs are receiving funding) , been overruled for conditions for the British, and had my junior simul cancelled.
Is it any wonder that my friends from overseas recommend that I find a Federation which acts fairly?
But maybe all of this is just a bunch of coincidences?
So, in total, I’ve been kicked out of the senior teams, not been offered expenses for the Euro Senior Champs (or anything else),despite that lower rated GMs are receiving funding) , been overruled for conditions for the British, and had my junior simul cancelled.
Is it any wonder that my friends from overseas recommend that I find a Federation which acts fairly?
But maybe all of this is just a bunch of coincidences?