2015 World Senior Team Ch 24 Feb-4 Mar

Information and discussion on all matters relating to Seniors Chess.
Tim Harding

Re: 2015 World Senior Team Ch 24 Feb-4 Mar

Post by Tim Harding » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:44 am

David Sedgwick wrote: Germany have not done England any favours. Their top board, GM Uwe Bönsch, has been rested.
Maybe he's sick or less in form. He only played the first two rounds, winning against lower-rated opponents.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:51 am

Does anyone know where the other results (not on the live boards) will be reported first?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:57 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Does anyone know where the other results (not on the live boards) will be reported first?
My guess would be on here or via Facebook.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:05 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: Going back to the 50+ section, I hope this is not a silly question, but why is Terry Chapman playing for England 1, rather than having a GM like Flear or Plaskett in reserve?
I can't imagine that either of them would have had any interest in going along as a reserve. They want to play nine games.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:34 am

Going back to the 50+ section, I hope this is not a silly question, but why is Terry Chapman playing for England 1, rather than having a GM like Flear or Plaskett in reserve? I suppose that is another way of asking how selection was done for England 1 and England 2.
I think I could probably hazard a fairly good guess ......

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:39 am

Mike Truran wrote:
Going back to the 50+ section, I hope this is not a silly question, but why is Terry Chapman playing for England 1, rather than having a GM like Flear or Plaskett in reserve? I suppose that is another way of asking how selection was done for England 1 and England 2.
I don't know what your guess is...

Terry is generously sponsoring the England-1 team. Otherwise it would not be nearly so strong.

(I actually posted this a few minutes ago but this and another post seemed to immediately vanish. Is the board moderator deleting posts? Or is there a techncial fault.)
Tim Harding

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:52 am

Around move 21, Houdini on my laptop says Tischbierek is winning against Timoscenko and Bischoff is a bit better. Loads of play left, though.
Tim Harding

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:52 am

I think that (sc Terry's sponsorship) was Mike's guess! And yes, as said many times before on this forum, Nigel Short is a professional chess player. You can ask him to play in your team - but someone will have to pay the appropriate fee. And as I have noted before, the ECF Board and some ill advised members of Council have allowed the International Director to spend his entire budget on the Olympiad and European Chs, despite the negligible prospects of big success, and so there is nothing in the pot for Senior chess at all (of course one would still need outside help to pay for someone like Short, but it is the principle of the thing).

Terry is still the strongest reserve, I should think; and imagine the arguments as to who should play the bigger matches if you did have a fifth GM ...

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:06 am

Tim Harding wrote:
Mike Truran wrote:
I don't know what your guess is...

Terry is generously sponsoring the England-1 team. Otherwise it would not be nearly so strong.

(I actually posted this a few minutes ago but this and another post seemed to immediately vanish. Is the board moderator deleting posts? Or is there a techncial fault.)
Can't see any problems from here sorry but mobile only so no serious access.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:24 am

Chris,

On the main site go to pairings but likely to get better on facebook, twitter or whatever social or here.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:26 am

Weird things have been happening in the last few minutes on the live board Tischbierek-Timoscenko.
I think the German player must have won and they haven't set the kings in mid-board to stop the relay, and are having a post-mortem.

White has forced mate anyway.
Tim Harding

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:32 am

Tim Harding wrote:Weird things have been happening in the last few minutes on the live board Tischbierek-Timoscenko.
I think the German player must have won and they haven't set the kings in mid-board to stop the relay, and are having a post-mortem.

White has forced mate anyway.
WHOOPS! Maybe they are still playing... 31 Qh5 was mate in 8 but the board is showing 31 Qf5+ Kxh6 as played. White can still win by 32 Rf4.
Tim Harding

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:44 am

Tischbierek has a totally crushing position but is making inaccuracies, missing easy wins, the latest by 34 Rxc4 with Re1 winning the queen. As played, he's still winning but it's not so trivial and he may yet mess up.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:50 am

Leonard Barden wrote:Tischbierek has a totally crushing position but is making inaccuracies, missing easy wins, the latest by 34 Rxc4 with Re1 winning the queen. As played, he's still winning but it's not so trivial and he may yet mess up.
Agreed, and he's short of time. The wins are getting harder to see now he missed Rxc4.
It's very tense. He played Qg4 where Houdini suggested Qf7,

Meanwhile Bischoff didn't get enough and has also drawn.
In the 65+ Russia conceded two draws to beat Germany 3-1 so that title is pretty much wrapped up now.
Tim Harding

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:06 pm

Tischbierek has made the time control. He gets an extra half hour now and should win. Timoscenko played an inferior defence at move 36 fortunately.

He's played it: 41 h5 (only winning move) +-.

Watching this has almost been worse than playing. Terry should buy the Germans a few drinks, especially as we probably play them tomorrow.

(LATER) Oh no! After a long think Tischbierek missed the forced mate by 43 Re7+ Kg8 44 Re8+ etc and played 43 Qh4+ instead. He can still win but he must be shattered.

(MUCH LATER) 44 Qe7+?!; maybe Tischbierek is taking perpetual though there are still some chances to win. He may have missed that after 44 Re7+ Kf8 45 Rxb7 Rxg2+ 46 Kxg2 Qd5+ 47 Kh2 Qxb7 Black loses his queen to a skewer after 48 Qh8+, 49 Qh7+.
Last edited by Tim Harding on Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Harding