2015 World Senior Team Ch 24 Feb-4 Mar

Information and discussion on all matters relating to Seniors Chess.
Christopher Kreuzer

Re: 2015 World Senior Team Ch 24 Feb-4 Mar

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:18 pm

Hmm. Slovakia win (again - have they won the event with a round to spare?). Scotland draw with Germany, and both England teams draw as well. The battle for bronze will go down to the final round and England play Scotland!! Thuringen (who play England 2) are the only German team in serious contention for the bronze medals. And Plaskett still leads on board 2. For board 1, I think Ftacnik has 6.5/8 while Short has 6/7? Not sure about that.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:59 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Hmm. Slovakia win (again - have they won the event with a round to spare?). Scotland draw with Germany, and both England teams draw as well. The battle for bronze will go down to the final round and England play Scotland!! Thuringen (who play England 2) are the only German team in serious contention for the bronze medals. And Plaskett still leads on board 2. For board 1, I think Ftacnik has 6.5/8 while Short has 6/7? Not sure about that.
You are right about Ftacnik and Short. Dougie Bryson's great win against Tischbierek means they are level on 6-2 for the board 4 prize, though I guess Bryson has the tougher last round pairing. I suppose Keith will be back for that?

It's a pity that the live boards tomorrow will presumably show the essentially meaningless Slovakia match. They surely won't lose so the only relevance is that the Leipzig team are not really in the running for bronze.

The women's rankings are coming down to the last round with Germany leading.

There's quite a scrap for 2nd and 3rd in the 65+ tournament.

It shouldn't go unnoticed that Geoffrey James won today, though the team lost, so he is sure of finishing on a plus score (5-3 so far).
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:49 pm

Embarrassingly, that post above from Tim is the first I realised that there were four women teams playing.

http://www.schachfestival.de/world-seni ... -2015.html

"The women's teams from Russia, Latvia and Germany will fight for the title of World Champion, integrated into the group 50+."

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:47 pm

I'd have thought detailed post mortems of the results of a set of 4 board matches were a bit pointless on principle :) Just far too random for anything to be guaranteed in the individual matches.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:09 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:I'd have thought detailed post mortems of the results of a set of 4 board matches were a bit pointless on principle :) Just far too random for anything to be guaranteed in the individual matches.
What exactly is your point here?
Tim Harding

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:43 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:I'd have thought detailed post mortems of the results of a set of 4 board matches were a bit pointless on principle :) Just far too random for anything to be guaranteed in the individual matches.
I can only think that the above means that players in a team should decide purely on the situation in their own game whether to agree a draw or not and without reference to any other games in the match. That is a bit difficult to accept and as a match progresses it may become clear that certain results on certain boards are to be desired. A match of 4 boards would seem to me to be more in need of all the players keeping that in mind right from the start. Matches over more boards do become more random in that sense.

Edit: I am sure that all the England players in the event are well aware of the above requirement.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:40 am

A bit simpler than that :) Just pointing out that not winning a 4 board competition scored by individual match points is nothing at all to worry about.

You really do need a big average grading advantage to 'reliably' win a four board match and there's very definitely no protection from the (moderately inevitable) accident or two, like you can get over 6/8 boards. Game points might well have a fair bit to recommend themselves.

So you pretty well have to just try again and hope for better luck next time :)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:32 pm

No news on any other results yet? Wonder why they only had two live matches at this event? Slovakia and Russia have won their matches (not surprisingly).

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:55 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:No news on any other results yet? Wonder why they only had two live matches at this event? Slovakia and Russia have won their matches (not surprisingly).
They will appear here at some point, probably in the next hour: http://www.schachfestival.de/world-seni ... =2&runde=9

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:10 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:No news on any other results yet? Wonder why they only had two live matches at this event? Slovakia and Russia have won their matches (not surprisingly).
Just about 2pm, Petran has won his knight ending in 99 moves. So unless any other marathon games are still in progress, the final results may be posted soon. The 65+ results are up already. England drew 2-2 and finished 31st,
Tim Harding

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:17 pm

Round 9 results now on the website:

http://www.schachfestival.de/world-seni ... =2&runde=9

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:41 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:Round 9 results now on the website:

http://www.schachfestival.de/world-seni ... =2&runde=9
So well done to Terry's team for digging out the big win (sorry, Scotland) to get the bronze. Although I'm sure you are disappointed, you are not empty-handed and it did all on depend on a handful of games.

If I am interpreting the tiebreak figures correctly, Dougie Bryson (by drawing with Keith) has marginally won the board 4 prize ahead of Raj Tischbierek. Board 1 was Ftacnik (half a point ahead of Nigel), board 2 went to Jim Plaskett, board 3 to Gennadi Timoscenko of Slovakia and best reserve was Joachim Brueggemann of Thueringen.

EDIT: I might be wrong about the board prizes; at the time I am looking, I am not sure the scores and tiebreak figures for individual players include the last round.
If the above IS correct, then it's good that England-2 and Scotland also have something to show for their fine performances.
I expect there will be more teams next year.

Germany women won their competition with the Latvians second.
Tim Harding

Nigel Short

Post by Nigel Short » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:49 pm

I won the gold on board one (which was decided by performance rating, although I also had the highest percentage), and John Nunn won the gold on board two. Amusingly, Jim Plaskett agreed a 14 move draw with White against a 2300+ in the last round, because he was so sure he had finished ahead of the doctor :)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:13 pm

That's good news, though a bit of a tragedy for Plaskett. How did the Scotland team take their loss in the final round? I see it pushed them down to 7th spot. Are the games from the event being published? It would be good to see some of the England games that weren't on the live boards.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:48 pm

So last 12 months for England in the 50+ we have World Team Championship Bronzes, two individual Gold (Nigel Short, John Nunn), the European Individual Champion (Keith Arkell) and the Joint World Champion (Keith Arkell). Nice little haul, shame the European Team Ch at Vienna in July are going back to 60+ as we clearly rock at the 50+ events.