British Senior Championships 2016

Information and discussion on all matters relating to Seniors Chess.
Michael Flatt

Re: British Senior Championships 2016

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:44 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:It's a poor show when the list of today's events fails to mention a national championship event in which numerous distinguished and long-standing dedicated British chess volunteers are taking part.

I agree with Tim, the vacant live boards should be used today for the over-65.
The British Championship website doesn't appear to have been updated to show which tournaments began today. It is only advertising the U8 and the three Rapidplays which started yesterday.

Missing are mention of the Juniors U9, U12, U14, U16 & Seniors +65.

To keep track of when a particular event runs one has to refer to the schedule which has to be downloaded as a .pdf document.
http://www.britishchesschampionships.co ... e-2016.pdf

Otherwise, one has to cycle through each of the events on chess-results.com on which the events do seem to be kept up to date by the respective tournament controllers: http://chess-results.com/tnr231043.aspx ... =30&wi=821

It is disappointing not to be able to follow the moves in any of the games despite having the technology to do so.

We can't blame the webmaster since he can't personally manage the site 24/7. Should he, perhaps, have a deputy when he takes Sunday off?

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:55 pm

It would not seem rocket science for somebody to take a few minutes this afternoon to update the list of events, even if live games are technically impossible.

There's a similar scenario at the turn of the year when the ECF office shuts down for a fortnight to coincide with Hastings.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:01 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:It would not seem rocket science for somebody to take a few minutes this afternoon to update the list of events, even if live games are technically impossible.

There's a similar scenario at the turn of the year when the ECF office shuts down for a fortnight to coincide with Hastings.
Exactly, but nobody else seems to have access to the system or authority to undertake a task when the person responsible is unavailable.

Too few people are trusted to fill in, even though there are many who are suitably qualified and capable.

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:20 pm

Three hours since Tim Harding first raised this matter, but, Southern region style, narry a whiff of an official response. I must say I am surprised at that, given that web problems were by far the most negative aspect of the 2015 ECF congress. One would hope that this year there would at least be a designated troubleshooter with a brief to react promptly to any online issues.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:29 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:Three hours since Tim Harding first raised this matter, but, Southern region style, narry a whiff of an official response. I must say I am surprised at that, given that web problems were by far the most negative aspect of the 2015 ECF congress. One would hope that this year there would at least be a designated troubleshooter with a brief to react promptly to any online issues.
Are they down the pub or on the beach?

Meanwhile most results are up in the 65+ with five games still ongoing after about four hours:

http://chess-results.com/tnr231043.aspx ... =30&wi=821

Either Roger Emerson couldn't make it or thought the event began tomorrow, so one player unnecessarily received a bye. I hope they can sort this out tonight so that there is no bye tomorrow if he's not coming.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:37 pm

I recall seeing a brochure, which I can't currently locate, in which the names of a three man 'technical team' were given. I imagine it is their responsibility to sort out these glitches.

Failing that the Championship website gives contact details for the Event Organiser, Kevin Staveley, and his Deputy, Alex Holowczak: http://www.britishchesschampionships.co.uk/contactfaqs/

Update:
The link to the brochure slid off the front page as the new posts were added. It is here: http://www.britishchesschampionships.co ... 2016-2.pdf

Similarly, the information on parking got 'lost'. It is here: http://www.britishchesschampionships.co ... e-british/

From the Brochure:
CONTROL TEAM
Congress Manager: Kevin Staveley
Congress Treasurer: John Philpott
Chief Arbiter: Peter Purland
Principal Arbiters: David Eustace, Dave Thomas, David Welch
Arbiters: Matt Carr, Russell Dodington, Geoff Gammon, Alex Holowczak, Tony Tatam, John Wickham
DGT Boards: David Clayton
Games Inputters: Arnold Lutton and team
Commentary at Pavilion: IM Andrew Martin
On Line Commentary: Chess24
Coaching: Tim Kett
Web site: Andrew Walker
Administrative Support: Gary Willson
Technical Team: Matthew Carr, Alex Holowczak, Dave Thomas
Front of House: Jane Kremer, Traci Whitfield

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:25 pm

Tim Harding wrote:Meanwhile most results are up in the 65+ with five games still ongoing after about four hours:

http://chess-results.com/tnr231043.aspx ... =30&wi=821

Either Roger Emerson couldn't make it or thought the event began tomorrow, so one player unnecessarily received a bye. I hope they can sort this out tonight so that there is no bye tomorrow if he's not coming.
What pairing system is being used? The player who was paired with a bye today is ranked no. 28 of 39 entrants. Wouldn't a bye normally be given to the bottom seed?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:35 pm

Ian Thompson wrote: What pairing system is being used? The player who was paired with a bye today is ranked no. 28 of 39 entrants.
His name isn't on Friday's list of entrants, so one could presume a late entry after they had published the pairings.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:47 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:I agree with Tim, the vacant live boards should be used today for the over-65.
There were no vacant live boards; they were being used for the under-9s.

(And the game-inputters are most grateful for this.)

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:11 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Leonard Barden wrote:I agree with Tim, the vacant live boards should be used today for the over-65.
There were no vacant live boards; they were being used for the under-9s.

(And the game-inputters are most grateful for this.)
:lol:

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:38 am

I see Ken Norman won the over 65

Well done Ken

The over 50 is underway, with the Forum's Chris Rice & Paul Bielby among the competitors
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:45 am

Yes, Ken Norman has previously been joint champion but this is his first outright win. The tournament felt so much better for returning to its 7-round format after last year's 6 rounds.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:05 am

Paul Habershon wrote:Yes, Ken Norman has previously been joint champion but this is his first outright win. The tournament felt so much better for returning to its 7-round format after last year's 6 rounds.
Interesting - will it be 7 rounds next year too?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:33 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Paul Habershon wrote:Yes, Ken Norman has previously been joint champion but this is his first outright win. The tournament felt so much better for returning to its 7-round format after last year's 6 rounds.
Interesting - will it be 7 rounds next year too?
Yes, it was reduced to 6 only to make it possible to play in the 65+ and 50+ consecutively. The compromise this year is to allow a 1/2 point bye in Rd 1 of the 50+ thus restoring both tournaments to 7 rounds. It did mean starting the 65+ on the Sunday before the main congress. From next year, of course, the 9-day format will allow entry to only one of the senior events.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:12 pm

Yes, well done Ken. Stewart did well also.