World Senior teams June-July 2016

Information and discussion on all matters relating to Seniors Chess.
Stewart Reuben

World Senior teams June-July 2016

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:58 pm

PLAYERS CONFIRMED FOR RADEBEUL 25 JUNE TO 4 JULY

Nunn John GM 2590
Speelman Jon GM 2510
Hebden Mark GM 2470
Flear Glenn GM 2452 captain
Arkell Keith GM 2451

9 players 50+ teams players
Plaskett James GM 2438
Lewis Andrew FM 2288
Lauterbach Ingrid WM 2090
Bowmer Kevin 2081
Fegan Chris 2079
Thurstan Tim 2079
Fraser-Mitchell Jeremy 2054
Majer Chris 1931
Cross Ian 1685

14 players 65+ teams players
Stebbings Anthony FM 2297
James Geoffrey FM 2203
Stokes Michael 2187
Quinn John 2130
Farrand Julian 2048
Reuben Stewart CM 2037
Thynne Trefor 1988
Cooper John G 1966
Mashayekh Majid 1944
Ewart Brian 1909
Fenwick Hugh 1904
Phillips William 1876
Scowen Roger 1861
Emerton Keith 1764

The order of the first 50+ team will be decided after the June FIDE Rating List is published. The remaining 9 players 50+ and 14 players 65+ teams will also be decided then, depending on whether players prefer to play in a 4 man or 5 man team.

It is not too late to join one of these 5 teams. Please contact me [email protected] 02088926660. The cost is about £750, including entry fee, bed and breakfast accommodation and flights.

Tim Harding

Re: World Senior teams June-July 2016

Post by Tim Harding » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:11 pm

I look forward to meeting you all (again) there.

Teams so far entered can be seen at http://schachfestival.de/world-team-cha ... pants.html
(with the 65+ linked from there).
There is probably a slight time-lag before teams go up on that list and some are incomplete, since the final names don't have to be declared until the captains' meeting on the first day.

Canada have entered the 50+ with quite a good team so that at least is not totally European.

Ireland have entered for the first time (65+ only). Currently we are 37th seeds out of 43 as I lost a lot of rating points in Gibraltar but we hope to finish above seeding as we will out-rate several teams on boards 3 and 4.

No Russia teams yet I see but I expect the usual suspects to turn up at least in the 65+.
They are currently playing in the Euros at Halkidiki which are round-robin events.

Results in the EU Teams at http://www.chess2016.org/ and games live on chess24. Wales play Russia today.
Ian Marks from Scotland beat GM Pushkov in round 1.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:08 pm

Latest English entries:
50+ Mark Page 2068
65+ Norman Hutchinson 2061
From 28 April entries will have to be charged an extra €25 late fee. Currently it is €75.
Last edited by Stewart Reuben on Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:42 pm

Norman Hutchinson must be some player!

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:05 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:Norman Hutchinson must be some player!
That's rating inflation for you :)

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:24 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:Latest English entries:
50+ Mark Page 2068
65+ Norman Hutchinson 2061
From 28 April entries will have to be charged an extra €25 late fee. Currently it is €75.
Stewart, according to my information Tuesday 26th April is the last date to nominate players/teams without incurring the increased fees:

http://schachfestival.de/images/stories ... ons_EN.pdf

Payment is supposed to follow quickly, maybe needs to be sent; maybe check with the organisers tomorrow if names have not gone in yet?

Some teams so far have just registered the team name and captain with the rest to follow.

Team composition can be changed at the captains' meeting on the morning of round 1.

"A provisional naming of the players and the substitute has to be submitted together with the
registration of the team. Changes in the team can be made until the captains’ meeting takes place."

It also says after 26 April acceptance of new entries cannot be guaranteed,
Tim Harding

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:56 pm

Thank you Tim,
Indeed. My idea was for it to be done Monday. Andrew Walker can get the FIDE codes easier than me. Also we would have to go to seven teams if we get any more entries, having 30. After all, there have been two very late entries already.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:33 am

If you haven't already done so, contact [email protected] immediately. She seems to be the person handing English speaking entries.
Tim Harding

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:34 pm

England are second seeds. Looks to be very strong. Is it stronger at the top than earlier editions of this event? Where are the Russians?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:12 pm

50+ Eng 1 seed 2. Eng 2 seed 14. Eng 3 seed 34. Total of 54 teams.
65+ Eng 1 8 2 30 3 45. Total of 49 teams.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:00 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:England are second seeds. Looks to be very strong. Is it stronger at the top than earlier editions of this event? Where are the Russians?
Russia 65+ just won the EU Senior Teams with the usual suspects (Vasiukov, Balashov, Zhelnin, Pushkov and Mishuchkov) so I expect they will turn up, be top seeds and win again. Their entry may have gone in a bit late or the lists online may not yet be quite final.

I wouldn't expect a Russia 50+ men's team but the Russia Women who played in the EU event may turn up.

Yes the 50+ is stronger than last year at the top (except for the absence of Nigel Short).
Tim Harding

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:13 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:50+ Eng 1 seed 2. Eng 2 seed 14. Eng 3 seed 34. Total of 54 teams.
65+ Eng 1 8 2 30 3 45. Total of 49 teams.
Those totals may not be final (see my previous post) but probably nearly so.

Ireland are seeded 40 in the 65+, but the list is showing the team just below us having an average 1 higher. As I just gained a few points last weekend it may be enough to keep us ahead.
I suppose all the seedings will be recalculated on the basis of the June FIDE list and if so this will cause several minor shifts.

There is no non-European team in the 65+ unless you count Israel who are sportingly but not geographically in Europe, while in the 50+ there is Canada (and Israel again).

In the 65+, 13 of the teams can be considered national squads while the rest are either national 2nd/3rd teams or regional/club squads.

In the 50+ there are 10 national "open" teams and two national women's teams.
Iceland, Israel and Armenia should make it more competitive this time (less dependent on the result of just a handful of matches) though the holders, Slovakia, are slightly weaker than in 2015 (no Timoscenko).
Tim Harding

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:50 pm

If a team enters late, there is a penalty fee of just €25 per team to FIDE. More important is that there might not be room in the hotel. It is not too late to join one of the English teams, other than the 50+ first; though that may require some shifts in personnel between the twso groups.

When I ran and played in the World 60+ Team Championship in the Isle of Man in 2004 there were teams from Australia and South Africa, although there was only a total of 12 team entries. That was because money was reserved for their hospitality. The US has shown zero interest and India little better. We have seen New Zealand and Argentinan teams at the event before.

The team order and composition is not finalised until the Captain's Meeting in Radebeul.

Malcolm Pein has suggested coaching for our players. I found little interest in this at the 65+ level.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:23 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:If a team enters late, there is a penalty fee of just €25 per team to FIDE. More important is that there might not be room in the hotel. It is not too late to join one of the English teams, other than the 50+ first; though that may require some shifts in personnel between the two groups.

Actually Stewart I don't think your first statement there is correct. The FIDE fee per team (100 Euro) is not increased but the fee per player is higher.

The organisers have also been inconsistent in their statements.
In the regulations circulated to federations and posted online in February they said that the deadline to enter at the basic fee was 26 April and that the fee per named player was 50 Euro. Then after 26 April the entry fee increases to 100 Euro per player and entries cannot be guaranteed.

However in the originally posted prospectus that was online in PDF (and which was circulated in hard copy at the 2015 World Senior Individuals) they said:
a)the fees only increase from 1 May; up to 30 April it was to be 50 Euro per player.
b) the entry fee from 1 May was to go up to 75 Euro per named player (not 100 Euro).
c) Only after 30 May the acceptance of entries could not be guaranteed.

So that is three significant differences, all disadvantageous to late entrants, maybe pressed on them by the hotel requiring to know how many rooms will be required.

Therefore I do strongly urge that any late entries of named English players be made not later than 30 April (specifying whether they need single rooms or are sharing rooms with other players or non-playing partners).
Of course you should insist on the originally announced conditions, stated above, from the prospectus, of which I retain a hard copy.

You are right that the composition of teams can be changed. Also the FIDE fee per team can be paid at the start of the tournament (not later than round 2) depending on how many English teams you finally enter. The important thing is to enter and pay for the individual players by the end of this month; you still have a couple of days to do this.
Tim Harding

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Thu May 12, 2016 9:17 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Where are the Russians?
Russia have now entered the 65+ and are top seeds with the usual suspects: Vasiukov, Balashov, IM Zhelnin, Pushkov, and IM Mishuchkov - the team that won this event last year and the EU Senior teams last month.

Israel are now only third seeds as Sankt Petersburg also entered a team with four IMs led by Faibisovich but they have named Mishuchkov as their number two so something will have to change on one of those teams. The other two St Petersburg players are IM Karasev and IM Blechzin, the latter being a new name to me.

So there are now 51 teams. England 1 are 10th seeds and Ireland are 41st. All that may change with the June rating list or changes in team personnel.

http://schachfestival.de/world-team-cha ... ft&tngid=2

There are now 57 teams in the 50+ including Afghanistan. England 1 are still second seeds.
As I foretold, Russia Women are in: WGMs Strutinskaia, Mednikova, Fatalibekova and Kozlovskaya with WIM Sazonova as reserve.
Germany have two women's teams and Latvia have one.

I am glad to see Scotland are in after all: Philip Giulian, David Findlay, Rosemary Giulian and Richard Jennings. Not in the 65+ though and no Wales.

Some of the late 50+ entrants are not in seeding order yet.
Tim Harding