The Lasker Method to Improve in Chess

A book review may be a primary source, opinion piece, summary review or scholarly review.
John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed May 05, 2021 10:23 am

Richard James has reviewed The Lasker Method to Improve in Chess

91yFwRWkdGL.jpg
91yFwRWkdGL.jpg (574.54 KiB) Viewed 1468 times
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Paul Cooksey

Re: The Lasker Method to Improve in Chess

Post by Paul Cooksey » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:56 pm

I thought this was a good review, although it helped me decide the book was not for me.
Richard James in the review wrote:Most instructional chess books fall, broadly speaking, into one of two categories.

There are those, often written by younger players, which emphasise studying recent grandmaster games, teach openings by encouraging you to memorise long variations, provide annotated games with reams of computer-generated lines, offer very hard puzzles from top level competitions, and sometimes suggest you devise a timetable for study, setting aside a certain number of hours a day for opening study, tactics training, online games and so on.

Then there are books, usually written by older and, perhaps, wiser authors, very often not of GM strength, but with decades of experience both playing and teaching, who understand that most amateurs have a limited amount of time available. They recommend studying the classics, keeping things simple, choosing openings which are easy to learn, understanding ideas and plans, mastering the ending.

You won’t be surprised to learn that my sympathies are, with some reservations, more with the latter camp. And that’s what we have here.
I'm much more in the first camp. If I am reading a book for education rather than pleasure. I think it is necessary to stretch myself a bit. My favourite in this category on how to study is "Improve your chess now" by Tisdall. The author famously did not choose the title, "Work hard on your chess now and it will eventually improve" probably would have been closer to the spirit.

But I liked How to Study Chess on Your Own by Kuljasevic which came out recently. I'm spending a bit more time studying than I would be if I could play OTB, so it seemed worth some time to make a plan, and the book was very useful.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:08 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:56 pm
The author famously did not choose the title, "Work hard on your chess now and it will eventually improve" probably would have been closer to the spirit.
This reminds me of a story told by Alex Baburin, about a suggestion that he might wish to author "Winning with the Alekhine". Had this come to anything, he would have preferred "Surviving with the Alekhine".
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:11 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:56 pm

But I liked How to Study Chess on Your Own by Kuljasevic which came out recently. I'm spending a bit more time studying than I would be if I could play OTB, so it seemed worth some time to make a plan, and the book was very useful.
My review of this book will be appearing shortly.

I'm pleased you found my review of the Lasker book helpful. I try to write reviews which will tell you whether you might like the book as well as whether I liked the book.