Chess Crusader by Carl Portman

A book review may be a primary source, opinion piece, summary review or scholarly review.
Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:06 pm

352 pp, Paperback, Conrad Press.
I must start with a disclaimer – Carl and I have been friends for many years, but I will still give an honest opinion of this book! It is another of those interesting books, where the author is not a grandmaster, but a “normal” player, highest grade (so far) 175, that you would expect to see in local leagues and weekend tournaments. It is a memoir heavily influenced by chess, but not exclusively, and takes us from childhood, through work and beyond. There are good times and bad times. He barely mentions his collection of spiders (see his 1998 book, “Fangs for the Memories” if you’re an arachnophile), but features other successes, trials and tribulations. He writes with humour and optimism, even when there seems little reason to do so. His work introducing chess to prisons, despite opposition from authorities is reported. He was awarded the ECF President’s Award for chess, a sign that his efforts were appreciated ultimately. Chess players will be alarmed to hear he had to give up the game, due to serious medical issues, but he fought back to resume his career. He mentions many people that he has encountered through the years and is generally positive, although is not afraid to criticize people where he deems it necessary. There is a small selection of games at the back of the book, including a tough fight with Karpov in a simul, where the latter emerged victorious, but had to work for it. It is an interesting and entertaining book, and I discovered things I didn’t know about Carl. It is well-written and easy to read – I took about two evenings to read it.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:58 pm

BCN received its copy of Chess Crusader today.

I have placed Carl between Lev Polugayevsky, Lajos Portisch and Akiba Rubinstein

I hope Carl approves. :D

img_1264_lv.jpg
img_1264_lv.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 2896 times
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Kevin Thurlow

Re: Chess Crusader by Carl Portman

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:25 pm

"I have placed Carl between Lev Polugayevsky, Lajos Portisch and Akiba Rubinstein

I hope Carl approves. :D"

Carl and Polu are pictured in the book, so I would think he would...

I assume I'm between Tal and Timman?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:05 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:25 pm
I assume I'm between Tal and Timman?
Yours is a reference work rather than a(n) (auto)biography.

You are with PW Sergeant, Edward Winter, Harry Golombek, Ken Whyld, Richard James, David Hooper and other illuminaries.

David LeMoir is between Em. Lasker and Tony Miles.

Andrew Smith is between Nigel Short and Smyslov

Stephen Moss is between Morphy and Najdorf.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:06 pm

Good illustration of how big Andrew Smith's book is! :D

How big is your book, Kevin? (That sounds a bit dodgy!)

Seriously, what is the best way to acquire copies of this book by Carl and the one by Kevin (I have the one by Andrew already)? Are they stocked by the usual suspects, along with discerning chess shops?

Which books are first and last on these shelves - maybe Arkell is near the front of the autobiographies?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:12 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:06 pm
Good illustration of how big Andrew Smith's book is! :D

How big is your book, Kevin? (That sounds a bit dodgy!)

Seriously, what is the best way to acquire copies of this book by Carl and the one by Kevin (I have the one by Andrew already)? Are they stocked by the usual suspects, along with discerning chess shops?

Which books are first and last on these shelves - maybe Arkell is near the front of the autobiographies?

The first (auto)biog is Development of a Grandmaster by Bill and Michael Adams and next comes the rare "Return of Alekhine" by CJS Purdy.

The last is "Timman's Selected Games" which is rather poor. Nothing from anyone staring with "U".

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:23 am

"How big is your book, Kevin? (That sounds a bit dodgy!)

Seriously, what is the best way to acquire copies of this book by Carl and the one by Kevin (I have the one by Andrew already)? Are they stocked by the usual suspects, along with discerning chess shops?"

CS History is 528 pages, available from WH Smith online and Amazon e.g., if you want a signed copy, PM me, but P&P from me is another £4. A Kindle version is on its way, and other suppliers should become available (already there are some in Netherlands and Denmark!)

Carl's is available from usual suppliers, but I'll alert him to this thread, if you want to contact him direct.

ben.graff

Post by ben.graff » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:22 pm

I was delighted to review Carl's book for The Chess Circuit.

https://chesscircuit.substack.com/p/bdb ... b4f20effaa
Ben Graff
Author of 'Checkmate! Great Champions And Epic Matches From A Timeless Game' 'The Greenbecker Gambit' and 'Find Another Place'

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:21 pm

Good to see Game Changer by Matthew Sadler and Natasha Regan in a prime location on the book shelf.

John Upham

Chess Crusader: confessions of an amateur chess-player

Post by John Upham » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:29 pm

Richard James has reviewed Chess Crusader: confessions of an amateur chess-player

https://britishchessnews.com/2021/12/19 ... ss-player/

by Carl Portman

from The Conrad Press

81oMccn-LtL.jpg
The Chess Crusader. Carl Portman, The Conrad Press, 22nd July 2021, ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-1913567866
81oMccn-LtL.jpg (355.68 KiB) Viewed 2180 times