"The Art of the Tarrasch Defence" by Alexey Bezgodov

A book review may be a primary source, opinion piece, summary review or scholarly review.

MJMcCready

Re: "The Art of the Tarrasch Defence" by Alexey Bezgodov

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:48 pm

'That, of course, is only an opinion, as Bezgodov readily admits, and you can agree or disagree with it all you want.'

How on earth can anyone justify purchasing a book when its author says things like that?

'Nor do Lakdawala’s references to popular culture escape. Two that stick in mind are a rambling, irrelevant chunk about Goodfellas (complete with misused apostrophe, poor punctuation and unnecessary adverb) and a reference to a Bananarama song (first recorded by a session band called Steam in ’69, by the way), which manages to butcher the title. At least make an effort to get it right!'

Bloody hell, not yet another crap chess book.

Mark Ashley

Post by Mark Ashley » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:43 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:48 pm
'That, of course, is only an opinion, as Bezgodov readily admits, and you can agree or disagree with it all you want.'

How on earth can anyone justify purchasing a book when its author says things like that?
I'm unclear from the review whether the latter part was a comment from the author, or simply the reviewer finishing his own sentence. If the latter, i dont see why that would be an issue for a reader, especially if it is written as a passionate look at an opening than just a standard opening book.

This book sounds like it could be similar to Ilya Odessky's works on the Nimzo-Larsen and English Defence in that regard.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:18 pm

And probably many many more. Thankfully I gave up on reading chess theory some time ago.