The 4th Derbyshire Chess Congress, 17th &18th Oct.

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Post Reply
dwoodhouse
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:40 pm

The 4th Derbyshire Chess Congress, 17th &18th Oct.

Post by dwoodhouse » Tue Mar 10, 2026 1:34 am

I am delighted to announce that this year's congress will be held on the 17th and 18th of October this year. Although the date is another new one, (half term), the venue is the same - Trent College, Long Eaton NG10 4AD. I know it's early, but ENTRIES ARE NOW OPEN! The website is at https://congress.org.uk/congress/753/home I am hoping to have flyers available at various congresses before then, including Staffordshire, Huddersfield and Nottingham, although there is a link to the flyer on the website. There will be five sections as last year, with the same grading boundaries too. Assuming the number of entries allows, a 4th prize has been added to all sections this year. To ensure that there is plenty of space, the entry limit has been lowered slightly to 180. Last year, we received requests to have the top sections FIDE-rated, so we have responded positively to these requests, although this means that, with having three rounds on the Saturday, the upper limit in the Open section has to be 2400. Following feedback from our first year, we provided a greater range of refreshments, and this will be the same this year. Many thanks to all who have supported us over the last three years, and to those who have already enquired about this year's congress!. We look forward to welcoming you again to our fantastic venue which is very disability-friendly and has excellent transport links as well as plenty of free parking. If you have any questions/comments, please use this email address: [email protected]
Many thanks, David Woodhouse.

dwoodhouse
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:40 pm

Re: The 4th Derbyshire Chess Congress, 17th &18th Oct.

Post by dwoodhouse » Sun May 10, 2026 3:40 pm

Here's a quick update on some information which is on older versions of the flyer. In the older version, it states: "The ECF Oct. 2026 OTB ratings will be used to determine eligibility for rating-restricted sections, and for pairings and rating prize purposes."

After discussion with various people, my colleague and I have decided to alter this to: "In the Open and Major, the FIDE Oct. 2026 OTB ratings will take priority over ECF ones, and will be used to determine eligibility for rating-restricted sections, and for pairings and rating prize purposes. In the other sections, ECF ratings will take priority." I apologise for any confusion caused. This latter wording has always been on our website, but I have added some clarification on there too. Older versions of the flyer will probably appear at Glossop and the Cotswolds (thanks to some club members). In all other respects the information on the flyers is correct.
Many thanks,
David Woodhouse.

dwoodhouse
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:40 pm

Re: The 4th Derbyshire Chess Congress, 17th &18th Oct.

Post by dwoodhouse » Thu Sep 10, 2026 10:27 pm

I went to the Leyland Congress recently, and, although I had taken quite a few snacks with me, I realised that when it came to lunchtime in particular, if I didn't have time to go off-site, what I wanted most was a small pack of sandwiches (like you get in a supermarket meal deal). Accordingly, this year, we shall attempt to have a small range of sandwiches (kept cool and fresh in our fridge). (I'm not going to bother to update the flyer just for this.) Hopefully, this will hit the spot for some of you, too!
Many thanks to those of you who have supported us for the 4th year running. Keep those entries coming, please, because it means that in the future, we can keep the entry costs down and/or increase the prize money!
https://congress.org.uk/congress/753/home

David Woodhouse

dwoodhouse
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:40 pm

Re: The 4th Derbyshire Chess Congress, 17th &18th Oct.

Post by dwoodhouse » Tue Sep 29, 2026 7:13 pm

Some people have had a few problems paying via PayPal. (I know this company isn't everyone's favourite cup of tea!) Accordingly, I have tweaked the wording on the website to allow people to pay via bank transfer as a last resort. The reason it's not something I encourage is that payment via PayPal makes various things kick in automatically. Bank transfers need more of a hands on approach from me.
Thanks as always,
David Woodhouse.

Post Reply