50th Thanet Chess Congress

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Robert Page

50th Thanet Chess Congress

Post by Robert Page » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:30 pm

The 50th Thanet Chess Congress will take place from Friday August 16 to Sunday August 18 2019. Details will be available on the website www.thanetchesscongress.co.uk once it is up and running which will probably be some time in March. As it is the 50th congress, there will be a few special prizes and we are especially keen to hear from anyone who played in the first congress in 1970. If they are able to play this year, even better. If you know someone who played, do please pass this on as we would love to hear from anyone who was there.

Robert Page

Re: 50th Thanet Chess Congress

Post by Robert Page » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:08 pm

The website for the 50th Thanet Chess Congress is now live. Go to www.thanetchesscongress.co.uk for further information including details of the special trophies to be won (and kept) by the winners of the five sections. The SCCU and Kent Championship titles are also available for those who qualify. Broadstairs is busy in the summer so early booking for this special congress is strongly advised.

Robert Page

Post by Robert Page » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:50 pm

The 50th Thanet Chess Congress is only three weeks away. Free entry for GMs and IMs and only £5 for U16s. There are unique prizes for the winners of each section unavailable at any other congress in addition to over £2300 in prize money. So far, five of the original 1970 entrants have signed up to play together with Gordon Lloyd, organiser and controller of the first congress. ECF Grand Prix qualifier, SCCU and Kent Individual Championship, for more details of the special prizes and online entry click here http://www.thanetchesscongress.co.uk/.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:44 pm

I was one of three Kent-dwelling, Surrey-playing mercenaries from the Crystal Palace club (which is just across the London border of Kent and Surrey, and in the latter county) who made their way to the 50th anniversary of this excellent event splendidly orchestrated by Andrew Flood of Broadstairs & Kevin Thurlow of Redhill and this parish

I never attended the inaugural one in 1970, but I did so for the first time not too long after.

First things first - top seed IM Alan Merry (Barbican, 4NCL) took a half point bye in round 1 and that left him chasing second seed FM Martin Taylor who went to 4/4

Last things next - I took a departing glance at their fifth and final top board game - IM Alan Merry (3.5) v. (4) FM Martin Taylor (Rainham, Kent)

Black was hunkered down behind his 3rd-rank pawn wall with what looked like nothing beyond it.

White seemed to be in command of the rest of the board and could conduct a siege at points of his choosing, or so it appeared.

No doubt I'll find out the result of that titanic struggle in due course.

Back to last Friday night at 7pm, when I had the rare honour and privilege of playing an opponent who had not only played in that historic first event but had been, no doubt, the proud winner of all-play-all Section A with 3.5/6, ahead of A. Harris 3; M. Jay, D.E. Smith & L. Spain 2.5; P. Ganszczyck 1.

Mike and I reached the following position and I played my move and offered a draw, to which Mike graciously agreed, but who knows what might have happened otherwise? (One thing is probable - I'd have got back to the hotel later than I did.)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:42 pm

Thanks John - Alan won against Martin, and looked pretty dominant throughout the tournament. Full results will follow, but I think that Martin ended up winning Kent and SCCU championships, as Alan wasn't eligible.

Distinguished players in the 1st Thanet included Leonard Barden, Stewart Reuben and Steve Boniface.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:59 pm

Thank you, Kevin.

I see the full results, etc. are up in the Congress Results section of the forum.

Great that the Congress has made it to 50 not out. (Rain delayed the start of play at Headingley this morn and has interrupted play again.)