Congresses Going Ahead

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Simon Rogers

Re: Congresses Going Ahead

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:01 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:55 am
Sunway Sitges say the event will go ahead in December.

Only 13 entries at the moment though, with no sign of the large number of invited, strong, players as in previous years.
Might be worth putting this in the International News category aswell, Ian.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:44 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:52 pm
A tournament near Barcelona that I noticed a few weeks ago and thought I might play in now says it is going ahead - El Llobregat.

They say they are going to have "a hybrid and original system that is unprecedented worldwide. This is an international chess Open that will take place between November 29 and December 8, at different venues on the five continents under the name of “Tournament Ciutat de Barcelona. II El Llobregat Chess Open tournament ”.

"Players from all over the world will meet at the different venues - located in some of the world's main cities (New York, Moscow, Paris, London, etc. - and play online, from a venue supervised by official referees, with other players located in other venues around the world."

Detailed rules are to be published later this month.
There's a website for this event now - https://barcelonachess.com/.

According to the map, you can play in Barcelona, Oporto, Moscow or Bogotá. Maybe Athens as well because there's a chess-results page listing it as a venue.

With high prizes I imagine it will be attractive to strong players who live near to one of the venues and think they have a chance of winning something, but I can't see average players travelling a long way to a venue just to play over the Internet.

As a player, I'd also be reluctant to play with this rule in place - "It will be the responsibility of each venue to ensure good internet quality. If the internet connexion of a venue fails, the games will in no case be postponed or repeated. A player does not lose the game by disconnecting, as his time continues to run. It only gets lost when time runs out on the chess.com clock."

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:03 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:44 pm
There's a website for this event now - https://barcelonachess.com/.

According to the map, you can play in Barcelona, Oporto, Moscow or Bogotá. Maybe Athens as well because there's a chess-results page listing it as a venue.
They're now advertising 26 venues in 19 countries, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Unfortunately, for anyone from England, it starts during lockdown so there won't be any venues here.

There's an interesting comment here - https://www.elllobregat.com/barcelonaworldechessopen:

"La presencia de árbitros e incluso conexiones wifi con acceso solo a unas direcciones muy concretas solucionará el principal problema del ajedrez online: las trampas. Cada plataforma tiene su programa anticheating, pero su eficacia es relativa y lejos de ser perfecta."

"The presence of arbiters and even Wi-Fi connections with access only to very specific addresses will solve the main problem in online chess: cheating. Each platform has its anticheating program, but its effectiveness is relative and far from perfect."

Surely some mistake here as their chosen platform is chess.com. :lol: