Congresses Going Ahead

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Simon Rogers

Re: Congresses Going Ahead

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:58 am

Tim Spanton wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:37 am
Simon Rogers wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:51 pm
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:45 pm
I should clarify that I only pass on adverts for information purposes - I can bear no responsibility for public safety either at the venue, or travel to and from the venue...
I'm with Kevin.
I'm the same as regards to posting information of Congresses coming up.
Me and Kevin go out of our way spending a lot of our own time and expense visiting various websites gathering information about Congresses coming up. Nationally and Internationally.
Not for our benefit but for other forum members.
Kevin was joking.
He was joking in response to my joke.
He did not go out of his way spending a lot of his own time and expense visiting various websites gathering information about congresses coming up - he was sent an email by CzechTour.
Sorry Tim. I didn't see your earlier posting.
It wasn't my finest moment.
Latest news for entries this morning:
Castle Chess Fareham Congress: 15
Northumberland Congress: 44
Manx Chess Championship: 10
I can't find a list of entries for Harrogate.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:15 am

Simon Rogers wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:58 am
Tim Spanton wrote:
Simon Rogers wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:51 pm

I'm with Kevin.
I'm the same as regards to posting information of Congresses coming up.
Me and Kevin go out of our way spending a lot of our own time and expense visiting various websites gathering information about Congresses coming up. Nationally and Internationally.
Not for our benefit but for other forum members.
Kevin was joking.
He did not go out of his way spending a lot of his own time and expense visiting various websites gathering information about congresses coming up - he was sent an email by CzechTour.
Northumberland seems to be doing pretty well despite the onerous playing conditions

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:43 am

Tim Spanton wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:15 am
Simon Rogers wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:58 am
Tim Spanton wrote:

Kevin was joking.
Northumberland seems to be doing pretty well despite the onerous playing conditions
A lot of players keen to play OTB Chess.
I'm glad I spotted the Tournament website and started this Topic.
A number of forum members have entered, which is good to see.
Looks to be a strong Tournament already with Tim Wall, Niamh Bridgeman and Ben Graff playing.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:33 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:

I think it's because they have the least onerous playing conditions of the 3 events currently scheduled.

One of the events (forgot which) was even planning dual clocks....

I might drive my son to Northumberland, but I'll wait to the last minute as I don't want to deal with hotel cancellations if there is a local lockdown.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:32 pm

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:33 pm
Tim Spanton wrote:

I think it's because they have the least onerous playing conditions of the 3 events currently scheduled.

I might drive my son to Northumberland, but I'll wait to the last minute as I don't want to deal with hotel cancellations if there is a local lockdown.
Time to trade the car in for a campervan/RV

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:03 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:32 pm
Wadih Khoury wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:33 pm
Tim Spanton wrote:

Time to trade the car in for a campervan/RV
Or you could take a tent like Mike Surtees does.
It was Fareham Congress that was planning dual clocks.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:52 pm

A tournament near Barcelona that I noticed a few weeks ago and thought I might play in now says it is going ahead - El Llobregat.

They say they are going to have "a hybrid and original system that is unprecedented worldwide. This is an international chess Open that will take place between November 29 and December 8, at different venues on the five continents under the name of “Tournament Ciutat de Barcelona. II El Llobregat Chess Open tournament ”.

"Players from all over the world will meet at the different venues - located in some of the world's main cities (New York, Moscow, Paris, London, etc. - and play online, from a venue supervised by official referees, with other players located in other venues around the world."

Detailed rules are to be published later this month.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:41 pm

According to the Australian Chess Federation, the following OTB events are going ahead:
13th September Newcastle Kings Gambit Tournament.
Newcastle, New South Wales.
19th - 20th September Nell Van de Graaff Classic.
Nerong, Queensland.
26th - 27th September Leo Wilkinson Memorial.
Rothwell, Queensland.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:20 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:52 pm
They say they are going to have "a hybrid and original system that is unprecedented worldwide. This is an international chess Open that will take place between November 29 and December 8, at different venues on the five continents under the name of “Tournament Ciutat de Barcelona. II El Llobregat Chess Open tournament ”.
Not exactly unprecedented, surely it's an update of telegraph, telex and phone matches that took place fairly regularly until about 1990. It's curious that the advent of the internet with easier communication coincided with their demise.

If international travel remains restricted, but domestic travel is permitted, tournaments along the lines suggested might become more common.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:41 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:20 pm
Not exactly unprecedented
It's not at all unprecedented. Here's an example of another event being run along similar lines that was announced 2 months ago and will take place later this month.
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:20 pm
If international travel remains restricted, but domestic travel is permitted, tournaments along the lines suggested might become more common.
It will be interesting to see what the player demand is for playing tournaments online in central venues and whether organisers are willing to set up local venues for this while the demand is unknown.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:09 pm

The City of Dublin Championships 25th to 27th September already has 83 entrants.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:17 pm

"A tournament near Barcelona that I noticed a few weeks ago and thought I might play in now says it is going ahead - El Llobregat."

It is an interesting idea. If any of my Sedgemoor club colleagues want to play, I suppose I could sit in the same room in Wembdon (at a safe distance) and watch, if suitably paid of course.

John Sellen

Post by John Sellen » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:46 pm

"I'm the same as regards to posting information of Congresses coming up.
Not for our benefit but for other forum members."

I don't understand this Simon
You seem to be having a self appointed crusade to advertise OTB chess . This is fine but :
1. We are capable of accessing this information ourselves
2.I maybe wrong but you don't seem to have entered any of these congresses yourself
3. Why on earth would you complain about the time and money you are spending when it is totally your idea to keep posting on this topic
4. Do you really think it wise to be pushing OTB chess when cases of this wretched virus are now increasing sharply in the Uk and Europe

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:06 pm

John Sellen wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:46 pm
"I'm the same as regards to posting information of Congresses coming up.
Not for our benefit but for other forum members."

I don't understand this Simon
You seem to be having a self appointed crusade to advertise OTB chess . This is fine but :
1. We are capable of accessing this information ourselves
2.I maybe wrong but you don't seem to have entered any of these congresses yourself
3. Why on earth would you complain about the time and money you are spending when it is totally your idea to keep posting on this topic
4. Do you really think it wise to be pushing OTB chess when cases of this wretched virus are now increasing sharply in the Uk and Europe
Hi John. I've already apologised for what I said and apologised for being self righteous in a post straight after.
The reason I haven't entered any of the OTB Congresses that I have posted is because I have serious family health issues which I have informed a number of forum members through PMs after my disagreement with Horton and Melsom on the Black Lives Matter thread which I have also apologised for.
Despite receiving a PM where I was called a fascist and racist.
I would prefer not to talk about this in the public domain on the forum.
As you might be aware, I agreed with Horton and Melsom as regards the shocking and dreadful behaviour of this Tory government to the virus.
Dominic Cummins should have been sacked.
As you remember when I also agreed with Horton and Melsom the extreme right wing on the forum turned against me. They supported Trump and Bolsinaro view that this virus is a "little flu ".
By dredging this up through PMs and on the forum, all you doing is upsetting me even more.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:26 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:29 pm
If it proves impossible to attend the Czech Open there's a tournament in Munich which starts a few days later. I can't find any information on coronavirus precautions, but it does still appear to be going ahead. The list of entrants was updated earlier this week.
Now significantly oversubscribed. Unknown to me the limit on players was reduced from 180 to 120 about 2 weeks ago. They've currently got about 160 entries, with the extra 40 on a waiting list.