Event Going Ahead in June

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Tim Spanton

Event Going Ahead in June

Post by Tim Spanton » Sun May 24, 2020 10:59 pm

The German organisation chessorg.de is planning to go ahead with Bischofsgrün in Bavaria at the end of June: http://chessorg.de/bischofsgruen.php
I am told the hotel reopens in a few days and the management is hopeful there should be no problem with holding a seniors chess event.
As I understand it, Bavaria was at the front of German anti-covid precautions so presumably the state government, as well as the federal government, believes all is as much under control as it could be.
Whether anyone could get there from here, however, is another matter ...

Roger de Coverly

Re: Event Going Ahead in June

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon May 25, 2020 12:42 am

Tim Spanton wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:59 pm
I am told the hotel reopens in a few days and the management is hopeful there should be no problem with holding a seniors chess event.
They would have to feel confident that no one infectious would get anywhere near as otherwise a hotel full of seniors sitting together for several hours could be almost as vulnerable as a Care Home.

I have played in an event organised by chessorg.de or its predecessor. This was back in 1993. It impressed me that the pairings were done by computer which worked particularly well during an evening Blitz tournament. Admittedly it was winter, but my aftermath was a far worse case of flu or cold than I ever suffered even from Hastings.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Mon May 25, 2020 10:28 am

I see it had 31 entries last year, and so far this year there are 28 entries, which I would have thought was rather good (assuming the event goes ahead and all turn up)

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon May 25, 2020 2:16 pm

Is it also 2 weeks of isolation out 2 weeks back in. So no good for UK.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Mon May 25, 2020 4:15 pm

Aah - two weeks back in might not be so bad, but two weeks out would be a problem. Have to wait for an air bridge ...

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon May 25, 2020 4:23 pm

Check your parachute/glider very carefully if on one to Arnhem in Sept.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Mon May 25, 2020 4:27 pm

I should have checked before replying earlier - there is no quarantine for Brits going to Germany, it seems:

Britons will not be quarantined upon entry in the territory of the Federal Republic of Germany, for either air or land, as the government has decided to exempt all nationals of the European Union from the quarantine rules, including UK passport holders who after the upcoming December will cease being EU citizens.