Northumberland Chess Congress

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Alex McFarlane

Re: Northumberland Chess Congress

Post by Alex McFarlane » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:25 pm

The Council has decided that the new restrictions are a step too far and with great regret the cancellation of the Northumberland Congress has to be announced.

We apologise to all those who had hoped to play and only the recent worsening situation prevented it happening.

Thanks to everyone for the support offered.

Mick Riding is gutted but has already started working on refunds.

Hopefully we will see you in 2021

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:46 pm

Thanks to the organisers for all their efforts to bring back safe OtB and a partial sense of normality.
Hopefully this will only delay things by a month or two.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:05 pm

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:46 pm
I'd like to think you'll be right, but I doubt it. Apart from Harrogate, I can't see any OTB event that's going to happen in the ECF calendar. You need a few weeks to organise an event and who would want to start doing that now, whilst there's still a high risk of it being unable to take place?

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:08 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:05 pm
Wadih Khoury wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:46 pm
I'd like to think you'll be right, but I doubt it. Apart from Harrogate, I can't see any OTB event that's going to happen in the ECF calendar. You need a few weeks to organise an event and who would want to start doing that now, whilst there's still a high risk of it being unable to take place?
Hence the use of "hopefully" :wink:
I'd rather hope naively for a total extinction of covid by tomorrow, rather than think too much what would happen if this virus generates no immunity and stays with us constantly.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:04 pm

Its sheer bad luck this one isn't going ahead, to take from that the idea that we shouldn't try at all is totally the wrong lesson.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:48 pm

I am upset for the North East. Best wishes for 2021. ALL of you.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:50 pm

This was the formal announcement of the cancellation from Mick Riding on FB. Fair to say I guess he was pretty upset after all the efforts that were put in to get the tournament running:

"I am sorry to have to tell you North Tyneside Council have advised we cannot go ahead with the congress against the background of the latest North East lock down measures.
Nobody can argue how ludicrous it is that a person cannot visit their relatives/friends but we can invite people from the length and breadth of the country to play chess. If we did and there were any cases linked back to the congress the newspaper headlines would be damning. And monitoring people's movements outside of the playing arena is beyond our capacity. Hence those responsible bodies - including NTC - have come to their conclusion.
Throughout today I have continued to press for a different outcome. Not for the hell of it, more on the basis of "What else can we do to reassure you". But it's not to be. And no appeal - yes, I asked!
In three weeks-time the decision will be revisited. But given there's no guarantee of a different outcome I think it would be ludicrous to postpone rather than cancel. You guys who have entered have shown fantastic faith throughout our campaign and I feel we risk losing that if we started to reschedule with no sound basis for doing so. Therefore 2021 it is and my belief is that some of you 'first timers' might just fancy paying us a visit next year 🙂
I will start reimbursing entry fees tomorrow. Our AGM is tonight - that's going to be fun. Some of you guys will now have to seek reimbursement of accommodation and/or travelling costs. If you have any issues with this and I can help you know just to shout. Nine days. Bitter disappointment doesn't quite sum it up. Sorry, very sorry and thank you so much for your support. Best - Mick"

mickriding

Post by mickriding » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:28 pm

Not quite as it turns out Kevin. This afternoon completing refunds :-(

And Roger - I don't know if you are involved in organising events but you must realise sometimes there are compromises you need to make in order to achieve the goal. That was one of them.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:58 pm

Thanks Mick, for trying your best in difficult circumstances to try and get this event going ahead.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:08 pm

Is the "Northumbria Chess Masters" the same as the "Northumberland Chess Congress"? I saw the former in the ECF calendar, expected to occur in August 2021 and was wondering if it was indeed still planned to be held.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:32 pm

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:08 pm
Is the "Northumbria Chess Masters" the same as the "Northumberland Chess Congress"? I saw the former in the ECF calendar, expected to occur in August 2021 and was wondering if it was indeed still planned to be held.
They are two separate events. I was wondering if the Northumberland Chess Congress might spring back to life as I've still for 'credit' for accommodation in the area following the first cancellation? I'm also wondering if there's a good chance the Northumbria Masters will run at the end of August?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:38 pm

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:08 pm
No, they are not the same.

The Northumberland Chess Congress is a long established weekend congress.

The Northumbria Chess Congress is an IM norm event organised by Tim Wall. There have been two previous editions.

The third tournament was originally planned for August 2020, initially postponed until February 2021, and further postponed until August 2021. To the best of my knowledge that is the current state of play.

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:17 pm

Good to see the 2021 Northumberland Congress confirmed for 24-26 September. Download an entry form here: https://www.englishchess.org.uk/event-c ... 24-9-2021/

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue May 11, 2021 8:14 pm

I've had a look at the website earlier today.
There is a list of entrants and currently 35 have entered so far including a number who post regularly on the forum. Which is great to see.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed May 26, 2021 5:14 pm

Brendan O'Gorman wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:17 pm
Good to see the 2021 Northumberland Congress confirmed for 24-26 September. Download an entry form here: https://www.englishchess.org.uk/event-c ... 24-9-2021/
Good to see that you have entered Brendan along with David Gilbert and Ben Graff.
There are 36 entries already, which is great to see.