Page 1 of 1
Harrogate Chess Congress 23rd to 25th October
Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:36 pm
by Simon Rogers
Hi all. The next OTB chess tournament that is going ahead is the Harrogate Chess Congress.
It was due to take place from the 25th to 27th September and was cancelled.
It has now been rearranged for Friday 23rd October to Sunday 25th October.
There are two sections: Major Under 171 and Minor Under 141.
You can use either your January 2020 grade or July 2020 grade.
According to the entry form, you have to bring your own protection equipment.
Noel Boustred is the Congress organiser.
There are links on the ECF Calendar with Noel's email address and mobile phone number.
Re: Harrogate Chess Congress 23rd to 25th October
Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:27 pm
by Chris Rice
Harrogate Congress
website and for entry form see
attached.
Re: Harrogate Chess Congress 23rd to 25th October
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:46 pm
by Simon Rogers
Chris Rice wrote: ↑Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:27 pm
Harrogate Congress
website and for entry form see 10th-Harrogate.docattached.
Thanks Chris for posting the attachments.
Re: Harrogate Chess Congress 23rd to 25th October
Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:12 am
by Simon Rogers
I'm not sure how many have entered so far.
I can't find the list of entries on the website.
Re: Harrogate Chess Congress 23rd to 25th October
Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:09 pm
by Simon Rogers
I've just been in contact with the organiser Noel Boustred.
He has informed me, the number of entrants is 12 so far.
Re: Harrogate Chess Congress 23rd to 25th October
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:07 pm
by Simon Rogers
I recieved a phone call mid morning yesterday from Noel Boustred, the organiser of the Harrogate Chess Congress.
He has asked me to post this:
The Harrogate Chess Congress was postponed from 25th-27th September to 23rd-25th October, not cancelled as I originally stated.
Also the Congress is STILL going ahead as planned.
Re: Harrogate Chess Congress 23rd to 25th October
Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:11 pm
by Matt Bridgeman
The only over the board Chess Congress scheduled in England this year I believe, and limited to players under 170. How are Noel's Covid secure preparations coming along? Is the venue next to or part of a hospice for the blind?

Re: Harrogate Chess Congress 23rd to 25th October
Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:11 am
by Simon Rogers
Harrogate Chess Congress is still going ahead as planned.
However I've not heard from Noel Boustred since the end of last week, so I don't know the exact number of entries.
Re: Harrogate Chess Congress 23rd to 25th October
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:17 pm
by Matt Bridgeman
Has Noel given up on going for gold with this event, or do they have to send in the men with white coats? #savethenuns
Re: Harrogate Chess Congress 23rd to 25th October
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:50 pm
by Simon Rogers
Yeah. As far as I know it is still going ahead.
So it could be "Nuns on the Run".
Re: Harrogate Chess Congress 23rd to 25th October
Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:21 pm
by mickriding
Apley Grange is a Care Home isn't it? Run by NHS?
Re: Harrogate Chess Congress 23rd to 25th October
Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:24 pm
by mickriding
And how to get round Rule of 6? Need to ring Noel.
Re: Harrogate Chess Congress 23rd to 25th October
Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:53 pm
by Simon Rogers
I received a phone call from Noel Boustred, the organiser of the Harrogate Chess Congress, at 4.30pm this evening.
Noel has asked me to inform you all that regrettably, the Harrogate Chess Congress has been cancelled.
Re: Harrogate Chess Congress 23rd to 25th October
Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:00 pm
by Brendan O'Gorman
Simon Rogers wrote: ↑Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:53 pm
I received a phone call from Noel Boustred, the organiser of the Harrogate Chess Congress, at 4.30pm this evening.
Noel has asked me to inform you all that regrettably, the Harrogate Chess Congress has been cancelled.
Thanks for confirming the least surprising news in a long time.