The ACO is back!

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Alex McFarlane

Re: The ACO is back!

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:58 am

Also, if they were expecting not to get 3 blacks in a row, 50% of the players would have been disappointed.

There are well known ways of avoiding that situation (switching round order)- but obviously not well enough known!

Kevin Williamson

Post by Kevin Williamson » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:18 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:31 pm
David Gilbert wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:41 pm
The ACO is really back with a bang.

Something for everyone?
If they were expecting to play 9 different opponents these four players might not agree.
But it did give us the pairing Black-Biro three times!
Although in two of them Black wasn't white.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:01 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:31 pm

If they were expecting to play 9 different opponents these four players might not agree.
I suspect a team of British arbiters would have amalgamated the top two sections, as indeed appears to have happened at the recent British juniors last weekend.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:02 am

That was suggested, but the players who were there to win the <2200 competition understandably vetoed the idea.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:23 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:02 am
That was suggested, but the players who were there to win the <2200 competition understandably vetoed the idea.
Presumably some clause in the small print giving arbiters powers to amalgamate would have been needed.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:33 am

"Isn't it now? Five fake World Championships in six months."

That will make Stan Vaughan cross.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:47 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:23 pm
Presumably some clause in the small print giving arbiters powers to amalgamate would have been needed.
No, that really isn't the point.

ACO has built its success on making its players happy, which I think is not a bad principle. Once it was clear that such a move would have caused great annoyance, they would never have considered running off to their lawyers to see whether they could get away with it anyway.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:17 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:47 am
ACO has built its success on making its players happy, which I think is not a bad principle.
Serious question:

At ACO events players have the chance to compete for so called World Championship titles. As a consequence the games are not FIDE rated.

Do the players actually like that state of affairs, or do they tolerate it because they like the tournaments otherwise?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:43 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:17 am
Do the players actually like that state of affairs, or do they tolerate it because they like the tournaments otherwise?
My impression is that most of the regulars ( of which there are many ) would be either indifferent or unhappy if FIDE ratings were introduced. Their absence may well deter some new entrants, hard to know.

It was Makro who was really opposed to ACO, for obvious reasons. I don't know how bothered the current administration is about people getting trophies which say "ACO World Senior under 1800 champion" - the 1800 isn't even necessarily a FIDE rating.

I would like FIDE to compete with ACO by putting on equally attractive senior events, but they persist in awarding them to less pleasant venues or, as this year, not holding them at all. My solution would be for bids to be voted on by those who actually wish to play in them, rather than as part of a global political process.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:57 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:43 am
[The absence of FIDE Ratings] may well deter some new entrants, hard to know.
I have stated up thread why I won't play in ACO events. For me, the false claim to be holding World Championships is a bigger negative than the absence of FIDE Ratings.

However, I appreciate that that is likely to be a minority viewpoint.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:42 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:57 am
NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:43 am
[The absence of FIDE Ratings] may well deter some new entrants, hard to know.
I have stated up thread why I won't play in ACO events. For me, the false claim to be holding World Championships is a bigger negative than the absence of FIDE Ratings.

However, I appreciate that that is likely to be a minority viewpoint.
Absolutely. I played at Crete in June and for me the idea of those being world championships was laughable rather than a negative. I found the fact the games were not Fide-rated irritating, especially as I beat five players who had higher ratings, but for me the overwhelming factor was that I was able to play competitive chess.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:10 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:42 pm
I played at Crete in June and for me the idea of those being world championships was laughable
I think what is being forgotten here is that the A in ACO stands for Amateur. What does being a World u1600 Champion ( ACO, FIDE or any other flavour ) even mean? People from all over the world play in a tournament and you won it. The idea that this somehow makes you the best u1600 player in the world is obviously daft, but why is this something to get steamed up about?

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:38 pm

I don't feel strongly enough to get steamed up. But like the exaggerated claims of coaches on other Islands, it makes the whole thing seem a bit Mickey Mouse doesn't it?

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:13 pm

If anyone fancies heading off for some chess and sun (and maybe spot of folk dancing) next year the Regulations are now available for the:
Both tournaments take place at the fabulous 5-Star All-Inclusive Atlantica Belvedere Resort (formerly known as the Helona Resort) on the beautiful island of Kos. There's no deposit and you pay on arrival, with free cancellation up to eight days before to you're due to show-up.

Book before the end of November to get the maximum savings. I’ve registered for the Amateurs, but I’m weighing up whether I’ve enough underwear to do both. BA only run flights to and from Kos on Saturdays, but easyJet and other airlines provide a regular service.

By the way, the popularity of the ACO tournaments is evidenced by a league table complied after the Amateurs’ Championships on Rhodes in July 2021 which shows 78 players had attended five or more ACO tournaments since its inception in 2012. Four players are shown on ten appearances, but three of these played in Crete last month so they’re now on eleven. I make the first page with seven, which is up to eight once Crete is added.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:36 pm

And now the ACO has published the Regulations for its Seniors' Championship which is back at the amazing Fodele Beach Resort in Crete from 1 October 2022 to 10 October 2022.

https://amateurchess.com/wp-content/upl ... 22_ENG.pdf

Kevin Winter (Bradford) played in Crete last month (he had some entertaining stories at dinner) and there’s an inspiring quote from him in the tournament literature for next year. He says “I have played numerous international tournaments. What am I looking for when I enter such an event? Well, a professionally organised event, a great hotel, nice venue, side events and a friendly but competitive playing environment. The first ACO experience ticked all the boxes when I played in Crete in October, 2021. I was pleased to play the guest of honour, Vlastimil Hort, in a simul set up by the organisers and it would seem that the legendary grandmaster has not lost any of his chess prowess. It was also great to have access to grandmaster analysis of one’s games and for the English players Daniel King was the ideal mentor with his clear, helpful and friendly advice although it has to be mentioned that Daniel is equally fluent in German; his lectures too were well received. All in all, it was a wonderful time in Crete, especially meeting old friends, making new ones, attending the side events, eating well, getting sun and enjoying the chess, amongst other things. Nothing was too much trouble for Falko, Tobias and their team and I give the experience 10/10. As someone once said, I’ll be back!”

I can't disagree with any of that. Next year we'll see if we can teach him to swim!