Unofficial British Bullet and Blitz Senior Championships 28th February 2021

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.

David Sedgwick

Re: Unofficial British Bullet and Blitz Senior Championships 28th February 2021

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:06 am

Is any more information available?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:38 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:06 am
Is any more information available?
https://www.chess.com/club/unofficial-b ... mpionships which suggests that Jack Rudd is the organiser/arbiter.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:10 pm

As is customary with Chess.com, you can only enter within an hour of kick-off, which means entries are now being accepted!

Thanks to International Arbiter Jack Rudd for putting this on for us.

https://www.chess.com/live#t=2088907

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:15 pm

Keith Arkell won the Blitz with 6/7. Lawrence Cooper was second with 5½; Jim Plaskett and Ben Gedig equal third with 5.

Here's some typical stuff from Keith that started it all off:

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:44 pm

Thanks for running this, very enjoyable.

I had a massive upfloat to lose to Keith in the last round. As usual, I just got pushed off the board!

Perhaps someone could tell me how to download a bunch of my games from chess.com. I can do it on Lichess, but chess.com confuses me... And it's irritating trying to do it one game at a time.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:19 pm

Thanks again Jack. These type of events are wonderful for catching up with friends and opponents from 40+ years ago. Eg here, as well as playing Kevin in the last round, I played Loz Cooper, Jim PLaskett, Andrew Stone , Graham Waddingham and John Sharp. Those last two are friends against whom I was competing back in the late 70s!

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:11 pm

Keith Arkell wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:19 pm
Thanks again Jack. These type of events are wonderful for catching up with friends and opponents from 40+ years ago. Eg here, as well as playing Kevin in the last round, I played Loz Cooper, Jim PLaskett, Andrew Stone , Graham Waddingham and John Sharp. Those last two are friends against whom I was competing back in the late 70s!
Well done Keith.

Having been the oldest player in the 2018 (I think) UK Blitz final it belatedly occurred to me that I may have been the youngest today!

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:43 pm

Chris Duncan won the Bullet with 6/6. Graham Waddingham was second, Keith Arkell third.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:59 pm

I was only able to play in the Bullet event, which I enjoyed, even though I finished 12th of the 13 competitors.

It was a bit disappointing that the small entry meant that only 6 of the announced 15 rounds could be played, owing to Chess.com procedures.

I wonder whether on a future occasion any Bullet event with 20 competitors or fewer might be run as an All-Play-All, with the pairings predetermined, and conducted by an arbiter with the necessary privileges, as with the tournaments in the British Online Championships.

There would be one clear drawback, As games have to be started individually, some games in a round would be over before others have started. However, a lot more chess would get played.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:18 pm

Thanks David, both for your suggestions and for supporting the event.

Another option, were we not to have access to the resources you referred to ( eg an arbiter with the 'necessary privileges' along with the spare time and inclination), would be to run the event as an 'Arena' tournament. I play in hundreds of those on Lichess (and sometimes on Chessdotcom), and one advantage is that you know exactly when the event will begin and end. Another is that they require almost no effort to set up. A disadvantage would be that it wouldn't be ideal, in a national championship, for entrants to play indeterminate numbers of games.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:28 am

I would also just add that we were at two disadvantages by comparison with the ECF 'official' online championships: 1) we operated with a budget of £zero, and 2) we lacked the advertising capacity of the Federation. Given these constraints, I hope that a combined turnout of 30 entrants will lead to the ECF considering including Senior Blitz and Bullet titles withing its next online Championships.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:58 am

Keith Arkell wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:18 pm
Thanks David, both for your suggestions and for supporting the event.
I was happy to do so as it was made clear that the event was unofficial.
Keith Arkell wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:28 am
Given these constraints, I hope that a combined turnout of 30 entrants will lead to the ECF considering including Senior Blitz and Bullet titles within its next online Championships.
I believe that that was already under consideration
Keith Arkell wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:18 pm
... were we not to have access to the resources you referred to ( eg an arbiter with the 'necessary privileges' along with the spare time and inclination) ...
Keith Arkell wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:28 am
I would also just add that we were at two disadvantages by comparison with the ECF 'official' online championships: 1) we operated with a budget of £zero, and 2) we lacked the advertising capacity of the Federation.
If you were again in that situation, I would be willing in principle to run the event for you on a voluntary basis, so long as it was again described as unofficial.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:11 am

You could of course ask the ECF to advertise it (saying it will clearly be an unofficial event), and (A) they might do so, or (B) they might think, that's a good idea, we'll do an official one.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:40 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:58 am
If you were again in that situation, I would be willing in principle to run the event for you on a voluntary basis, so long as it was again described as unofficial.
Thanks - appreciated 🙂
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:11 am
You could of course ask the ECF to advertise it (saying it will clearly be an unofficial event), and (A) they might do so, or (B) they might think, that's a good idea, we'll do an official one.
Indeed - hopefully these events will be incorporated into the ECF's Official Online Championships next time. Not only do females and kids under 8 enjoy blitz but many seniors say that it's their favorite form of the game because it doesn't tire them out in the way long classical chess games do.