Hastings International Chess Congress 2021 - 2022

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
NickFaulks

Re: Hastings International Chess Congress 2021 - 2022

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:09 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:40 pm
there are masks now that are believed to provide substantial levels of personal protection to the individual, regardless of what others are doing.
Yes, one of the things I find hard to understand is that, unlike a year ago, those masks are freely available - the EBU has provided bridge players with details of how to buy them. Yet almost none of the chess players who make such a big deal of blue paper fashion statements seem interested in a product that might actually have some value.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:34 pm

One of the good things about Hastings at its present venue is that the playing area is about as spacious as could possibly be desired

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:38 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:09 pm
Richard Bates wrote:
there are masks now that are believed to provide substantial levels of personal protection to the individual, regardless of what others are doing.
Yes, one of the things I find hard to understand is that, unlike a year ago, those masks are freely available - the EBU has provided bridge players with details of how to buy them. Yet almost none of the chess players who make such a big deal of blue paper fashion statements seem interested in a product that might actually have some value.
I think describing the bog standard disposable masks as a “fashion statement” is going overboard. If almost universally worn (and worn properly) they have utility in limiting spread of the virus (particularly Covid being spread by airborne particles, rather than water droplets and surface transmission like flu). But under regulations where masks are not mandatory and their use (and proper use) is not widely observed and a matter for personal choice, the first priority for concerned individuals should be taking advantage of the ability to protect themselves - and when they can do so effectively it shouldn’t really be necessary for additional measures to be put in place.

Both withstanding my comments about the dubious evidential justification for many of the “sanitisation” measures as anti-Covid tools, I suppose one could argue that at least they might give some benefit it combatting other illness which (as has been observed by Roger) is basically widespread at a tournament like Hastings.

There is an argument that in present circumstances there is as much disruption caused by “suspicion of Covid” as presence of Covid itself. Other illnesses are and inevitably will be available. The problem for a tournament like Hastings is that it is very difficult to see how it can function if the “precautionary approach” of “stay away if you have any symptoms” is applied. This is of course a difficulty that is going to confront wider work and society in general over the next few months as all the usual winter ailments begin to re-emerge.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:29 am

"the first large-scale randomized evaluation to demonstrate the effectiveness of masks in a real-world setting"
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:46 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:29 am
"the first large-scale randomized evaluation to demonstrate the effectiveness of masks in a real-world setting"
I've had a quick read of that. It spends more time on how you get people to wear masks than whether they work, but the conclusion does seem to be that widespread adoption of surgical masks ( does that mean the sort everyone wears here? ) reduced Covid cases by 10%. Cloth masks were of little or no value.

There were a couple of weeks last year when we had no idea what was going on and wondered whether we might be dealing with the bubonic plague. Once it became clear that this was some sort of very virulent flu, I was able to judge that my chance of getting badly ill or dying from it were x%, where I had no precise view on what x was but I'm pretty sure I have faced worse odds before without being deterred from doing things I wanted to do.

Suppose I did judge x to be too high to play OTB chess, and you tell me that wearing a mask will reduce the risk to 0.9 times x. I still wouldn't play, because the difference is tiny and in any case, wearing a mask would certainly reduce my enjoyment by more than 10 per cent. You can say I'm only thinking of myself, but I doubt there are many people for whom that one tenth reduction will realistically tip the balance.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:00 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:09 pm
Richard Bates wrote:
Apparently these masks are very uncomfortable to wear for an extended period, which means that a 4-5 hour game of chess would be problematic. Though I have no idea how long typical Bridge tournament sessions last.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:52 pm

Reg Clucas wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:00 pm
Richard Bates wrote:
Apparently these masks are very uncomfortable to wear for an extended period, which means that a 4-5 hour game of chess would be problematic. Though I have no idea how long typical Bridge tournament sessions last.
At the last tournament I played in, last month, time control 90' + 30" per move, quite a few players were wearing N95 masks with no obvious problems. The number of players doing so didn't obviously diminish as the tournament progressed.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:34 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:52 pm
Reg Clucas wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:00 pm
Richard Bates wrote:
At the last tournament I played in, last month, time control 90' + 30" per move, quite a few players were wearing N95 masks with no obvious problems. The number of players doing so didn't obviously diminish as the tournament progressed.
And of course there's nothing stopping players wandering outside for a few minutes during a game to give themselves a breather. Many people have got into the habit of taking fag breaks for minutes at a time at no particular sacrifice to their chances at the board (if not in life!). No reason why people can't get into the habit of taking a mask break. Maybe if it's that bad the organisers could even permit the clocks being paused for a few minutes a couple of times a game. Better than many of the alternative suggestions being implemented.

At the end of the day everything's a compromise. And many people understandable find wearing more basic masks uncomfortable for long periods. But if we are talking about a situation where some people are permitted to (in effect) force mask wearing on others - then it is reasonable to at first insist that those same people should be prepared to maximise the steps they take personally for their own safety, even at a partial increase in their own discomfort.

Paul Buswell

Re: Events in 2021

Post by Paul Buswell » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:30 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:04 pm
Ian Thompson wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:36 pm
but I can find nothing saying how it will be different.
By Christmas there will have been several months of Congresses running without the restrictions Hastings seem to think are necessary or required.

Here's the list

It is recommended that all players attending the Congress should have been double-jabbed, although this is not a condition of entry
The wearing of face masks is not obligatory; however should your opponent request the wearing of face masks we ask you to oblige. Failure to do so will result in additional measures, such as playing over two boards or in separate rooms, being employed
There will be no analysis room
There will be no spectators in the playing room. It should be noted that when your game is finished you become spectators
There will be no bookstall
There will be no live commentary at the venue
There will be no evening events
We will be operating a one-way system in and out of the playing hall and venue
Anybody that the arbiters have concerns about will be required to take a Covid test. Acceptance of this is a condition of entry.
The organisers also reserve the right to take players temperatures
Boards and pieces will be sprayed with sanitiser each day
Hand sanitiser and masks will be made available to players
These pandemic precautions are subject to change and will be dependant on Government recommendations in force during the event.
Some modifications just posted:

It is recommended any player who is in any doubt about their health should have a lateral flow test prior to the Congress, and should not attend should that test result be positive
It is recommended that all players attending the Congress should have been double-jabbed where possible
The wearing of face masks is not obligatory; however should your opponent request the wearing of face masks we ask you to oblige. Failure to do so will result in additional measures, such as playing over two boards or in separate rooms, being employed
There will be a limited analysis room
Competitors will be allowed to watch other games at the discretion of the arbiters. Crowding around a board will not be permitted
There will be no live commentary at the venue
There will be no evening events
We will be operating a one-way system in and out of the playing hall and venue
Anybody that the arbiters have concerns about will be required to take a Covid test. Acceptance of this is a condition of entry.
The organisers also reserve the right to take players temperatures
Boards and pieces will be sprayed with sanitiser each day
Hand sanitiser and masks will be made available to players
These pandemic precautions are subject to change and will be dependant on Government recommendations in force during the event.

PB

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:02 pm

I very much hope that there will be examples of this:

"Failure to do so will result in additional measures, such as playing over two boards or in separate rooms"

A time scramble will be especially entertaining.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:12 pm

John Upham wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:02 pm

"Failure to do so will result in additional measures, such as playing over two boards or in separate rooms"

Perhaps an arbiter will stand between the rooms with a pair of binoculars and call out the moves.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:31 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:12 pm
John Upham wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:02 pm

Perhaps an arbiter will stand between the rooms with a pair of binoculars and call out the moves.
Both players could bring their laptops to the venue and play the game online.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:48 am

Guess what.
I've been informed of another Rapidplay taking place within the next month.
It sounds quite exciting.